Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Ruger m77 30mm rings and scope idea's

Last year I upgraded my binos and wow what a difference, started spotting more deer instantly also the extra detail, it has convinced me that good glass is worth it so I'm tossing around the idea of upgrading my scope, looking at the swaro z3 3-9x36, 3-10x42 and leupold vx5hd 2-10x42

The leupold is 30mm so I would need new rings which has to be added to the cost, would need to be stainless and I imagine genuine ruger as I have not come across any others that fitt.

Any body know who would have them and what sort of price they would be?

I like the idea of the small light swaro but if it's not bright enough it's pointless.

So how much difference between the 2 swaro scopes do you think there would be, is it a noticeable brightness jump?

Currently running bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 which is about 16yrs old and served me well but it's got a few scratches on the lens. Rifle is ruger 6.5x55, mostly mixed north island hunting bush bashing to open tops, currently I dial my bushnell by removing the dust cap and dialing so I only do it if I have plenty of time, the leupold would have the cds which would be an advantage, but I'm more after glass quility.

Any other thoughts from you guys with experience would be much appreciated

Cheers

Vx3i 3.5-10 Cds would be a good bet. Guys at HnF said vx5 has basically identical glass but the only benefit in their eyes was the 30mm tube allowing more elevation.

There is also a 3-9 kahles on the buy sell page

I'd argue that a little my vx5hd has much better glass and a more forgiving eye box than my vx3i. As for ruger rings Warne make alloy split rings that are affordable. As for ruger genuine rings they are $95 a piece I just picked some up for my 300win mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I'd argue that a little my vx5hd has much better glass and a more forgiving eye box than my vx3i. As for ruger rings Warne make alloy split rings that are affordable. As for ruger genuine rings they are $95 a piece I just picked some up for my 300win mag.
    Cheers man that was what I was after, it adds another couple of hundred to the scope purchase, I am assuming Warne split rings are the ones with the horizontal instead of vertical screws? I have them on another rifle and I'm not a big fan of them.

I did look at the vx3, the couple I have looked through didn't appear that much different from my current bushnel, I think if I'm spending the money I want to get a noticeable improvment, I would think that the vx5hd has better glass, being high density glass is supposed to improve them substantially but I hav'nt looked through one to compare.

Cheers

The best thing from th CDS is a lightweight scope with decent tracking. Really serves that niche well. And yeh they are the vertical split work fine a little more fiddly to setup but functional and for about half the price they are pretty sweet. However a nice 1 inch European scope might be cheaper