Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Ruger M77 won’t eject spent cases.

I have a Ruger M77 7x57 that has a temperamental extractor. Some cases eject fine, others come half way out and I have to tip the rifle on its side to clear the chamber.

• Norma brass.
    • Rifle fired less than 200 rounds.
    • Doesn’t seem to make a difference if I work the bolt fast or slow.

What can I check before I send it to a gunsmith?

Cheers,

Hayden

Try loading the empty ones that extracted ok again and see if they consistently work. Check the extractor for play, Im assuming they are slipping off the extractor before the ejector has a chance, normally I would put this down to slow working of the bolt one of my 308s and a 6.5x55 do this if you are real slow about it but you say that's not it.

Do you mean extract or eject? The claw type extractor on the right hand side of the bolt is held by a C shaped band. Try removing the extractor and examine the claw for wear or the band is broken at the top. If you mean ejector, knock out the retaining pin, remove ejector and spring and check for wear or rust. Clean out the spring hole and reassemble.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The issue is extracting a case from the chamber as the rifle will eject a spent case when it’s fully extracted. Some cases get half way out and ‘stop’ like the bolt has lost its grip on them. Also I note that there is a scratch mark on the cases approximately 7-8mm immediately behind the shoulder. It’s almost as if there binding on something.

I’ll start with dissembling the bolt hoping the problem will be obvious. Otherwise it might be off to Mr Tiffen.

Cheers,
    Hayden