Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 12 Post By Mintie
  • 1 Post By HandH
  • 1 Post By Rush
  • 1 Post By Mintie
  • 1 Post By HandH
  • 1 Post By Waldo Peens

Thread: Ruger Precision Rimfire first impressions

Ruger Precision Rimfire first impressions

Spent some range time today with my new Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22lr. I'm still getting to grips with it but I'm pretty happy with the results I'm starting to see!

Zerod in at 100m as I'm hoping to use this as a longer range pest rig, I then ran through some 5 shot 100m groups of the different subsonic ammo I have here to see what it likes the most and settled on the Eley std (which is lucky as I have 3 bricks of it!). I then moved in to 50m, 75m, 125m, 150m and just for fun 200m to mark up the drop at each of those and was pleasantly surprised to see that even at 200m the 7 shot group would have been a 7 for 7 on a 6" gong, I could even cover 6 of the 7 shots with a clay bird which I think is pretty impressive for 22lr considering the aim point at 200m was just a dirt wall as I had run out of reticle aim points. I was just shooting from the bipod as pictured.

The scope I'm running at the moment is a Nikko 3‐9x40 rimfire scope but given the performance I think there is a need for a higher end dialing scope with a bit more zoom.

Name:  20210701_155421.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  5.02 MB

Name:  20210701_151354.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  2.02 MB

Name:  20210701_144833.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  5.88 MB

Name:  20210701_163515.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  2.16 MB

Name:  20210701_153729.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  2.20 MB

Name:  20210701_164004.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  2.47 MB
    AMac, BRADS, Brakelie and 9 others like this.

Good to have more pooled experience. That performance is pretty much within the specs of rimfire ammo. Liking Eley more and more as I play with the current shipment.
    Mintie likes this.

I was tempted by the RPR for my first rifle. Won't be surprised if it becomes part of my collection in the coming years.
    Mintie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I was tempted by the RPR for my first rifle. Won't be surprised if it becomes part of my collection in the coming years.
    I don't think I would use it much as a walk about rifle, I find it fairly forward heavy with its target profile barrel and all composite stock but for bench/bipod work its just fantastic! I wouldn't be surprised to find another one in 17hmr has moved into my safe soon too.
    Rush likes this.

Was interested in post because I’m interested in accuracy of 22 ammo across a range of different rifles. My test beds are Anschutz and Kimber in rimfire. My RPR is in 308, shoots way above its price point. Borescoping shows nearest to perfect chamber, leade and barrel. Bit heavy but can’t be faulted otherwise.
    Dago likes this.

@Mintie, I have the Ruger American LRT and performance is on par with what you have found. Mine prefers CCI 40gr Standard (which is great).
    I handled the RPR and LRT, and while the RPR is lighter I prefer the aesthetics of the LRT.
    Currently wearing a Vortex 4-16 and is plenty of scope for the calibre.
    Jamesyd likes this.
    The Truth shall make ye fret.