Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sako 85 and a MK4 4.5-14 x 50, what rings?

As above which Sako Optilock rings will permit this scope to be fitted?

First thoughts were the medium Optilocks but according to the sako website low ones could do it. Is anyone running this combination?

I have a T3 with a Weaver Super Slam with butler creek flip up scope caps mounted in Sako Optilocks.... I would guess there is still 3-4mm clearance.

I think you might be struggling to mount the 50mm objective lense using lows

Actually - on second thoughts I think you'd be alright. Just checked how much clearance I have and if you don't plan on running any type of flip up caps, I think you'll be right.

I put leupy steel high on Iv got 2/3 mm clearance on my 85 but its a vx3 4.5-14x50. Should be the same dimensions?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    As above which Sako Optilock rings will permit this scope to be fitted?

First thoughts were the medium Optilocks but according to the sako website low ones could do it. Is anyone running this combination?
    I have a 30mmm Tube VX3 4.5x14 with the 40mm objective on my 85 with the long bases and low optiloks and there is stack of room under the scope so much that I have a stockpack on the butt to line up my eye with the scope without lifting my head. Going by this I'd say you would be fine with the 50mm Ojective in those rings. I'll upload a photo and show you next post.

Here, as you can see stacks of room under the optilocks.

Have a Tikka (I know it's not as pretty as a sako) which has low one piece optilocks holding a vx3 4.5x14x40 30mm tube which has 5mm clearance off the barrel so as Jakewire said, you would have to go with the low optilock rings & bases setup.

The objective lens on my scope has flip covers so the outside diameter is 63.5mm. Its currently on a Tikka T3 laminated stainless with leupold rings and bases. I've got about 1mm max clearance currently.

I'm keen on the ringmounts rather than bases and rings, I thought these came in different heights but looks like maybe not. What I'm also worried about is that the tube is quite short between the dials and where the objective starts to taper out. My front ring is about .2mm back from it now. Any further forward and I'd have an eye relief issue. Looks like the section of scope tube I'm talking about forward of the dials is .75 inches shorter than Jakewire's scope above.

Leupold || Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I put leupy steel high on Iv got 2/3 mm clearance on my 85 but its a vx3 4.5-14x50. Should be the same dimensions?
    I never realised Leupold did rings for Sakos. I assume the rings have the matching taper like the Optilocks? Any chance of a photo?

This certainly looks like the cheaper option and will add less weight and height than bases and rings:http://www.theriflescopestore.com/sa30higlfi.html
    Last edited by Mike H; 29-01-2012 at 05:26 PM.

If you have 63mm then mabe not on the Ringmounts, my Ringmount box intructions for the 30mm low gives a max diameter of 60mm or 2.36"
    My Mount Ring box[as oppsed to Ring mounts] give an extra low option of a max 63mm

Talley do as well

I've got a roedale precision picatinny rail lying around somewhere that will attach to your dovetails

alternatively, and better option, get a custom rail attached to your action

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H;6880[B
    ]I never realised Leupold did rings for Sakos. I assume the rings have the matching taper like the Optilocks? Any chance of a photo?[/B]

This certainly looks like the cheaper option and will add less weight and height than bases and rings:Leupold 51037, Sako Scope Ringmount, 30mm High, Matte Finish
    Yip Yip And maybe Il see if I can figure it out,Usually I get the missus to load photos and stuff Hence the computer knob end thing.

AB Precision
    i have super lows on my vx3L CDS but been the L its still sits up but thats no help to you

Right I think I have sorted it,Fingers crossed