Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sako A11 scope mounting

Sako A11 scope mounting

Team,

I have a Sako A2 with original Sako windage adjustable mounts. I wish to mount a Kahles scope with a 42mm objective of similar era – my issue is there is only just enough clearance to fit a piece of paper between the barrel and scope. I cannot slide a folded piece of paper between the two.

How much clearance do I need?

If the answer is I need more clearance then are there other mounts that I could consider? I want to keep the rifle looking as period as possible, so I am not interested in rails or the likes. The bases have 26 stamped on them – do they make different height bases?

Thoughts?

Yip they came out in Low ,medium & high.I would imagine yourve got enuff clearance there, but others might have a more informed opinion

Thanks, the bases have 26 stamped on them - I'm not sure what this means as I'm not familiar with Sako rings/bases - This is the first Sako I've ever owned!

If its possible to get slightly higher original mounts does anyone know where to source another set for a reasonable price?

The 26 stamp refers to the scope tube diameter(Euro 26mm-Khales,Pecar etc)Not suitable for yank 1''(25.4mm).First you need to establish whether yourve got low ,med or highs on hand.If yourve got highs there yourve maxed out, so may have to go to a different breed
    Hayden C likes this.

Rings/scope/barrel clearance

Name:  Sako kahles.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  231.0 KB

Marking on bases:

Name:  Sako bases.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  168.8 KB

Hayden Ive looked up a Sako ring chart re height specs.This imperial measurement is the distance from top of dovetail on machined receiver to underside or your 26mm tube body(the lowest curvature of the bottom half ring.1.Low =3/32"
    2.Med =5/16"
    3.High =15/32" hope this is of help
    Hayden C likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Your clearance is fine going by that photo, I'd be happy with that mounting.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Dreamer, tetawa, Hayden C and 1 others like this.

Im with mathias,, an I reckon you will be fine with that as well Hayden. Had an A11 308 yrs ago with a compact scope that had clearance just like yours, never had a problem with mine...
    Hayden C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    Hayden Ive looked up a Sako ring chart re height specs.This imperial measurement is the distance from top of dovetail on machined receiver to underside or your 26mm tube body(the lowest curvature of the bottom half ring.1.Low =3/32"
    2.Med =5/16"
    3.High =15/32" hope this is of help

Thank you.

My calipers suggest that these are mediums.

I should have noted that even one sheet of paper is scraping its way through.

Shim or tape on lower half of ring...???? Might give peace of mind..
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Hard to see from the photos; but given that the Kahles appears to be an Alloy tube/more contemporary model (? I might be wrong?) I expect it is a 1” scope tube. I’ve got several Kahles but don’t regard myself as an expert. Only my older steel tubes ones are 26mm. Given you may have a 25.4mm scope in 26mm rings, shims would make a lot of sense. Cut a shim from an aluminium drink can and sit it in the bottom of the ring (loktite it to the ring if it does work); might improve things on all counts (although I too am fine with only super small clearance if need be.

In either case keep an eye on it when hunting that you don’t end up with a stick or sh*t wedged in there. Can in theory upset things but I think in most cases more illusory than real. Possibly an excuse if you miss.
    Hayden C and Moa Hunter like this.

Banned
    I think that you are too close. Is there any forward movement with the mounts, as in slacken them on the Vee base and push the scope forward a knats cock. huntsika might be right about your tube diameter being 25.4. I have two Kahles scopes one from about 1990 and the other '95 both have steel tubes. Is yours a CT ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I think that you are too close. Is there any forward movement with the mounts, as in slacken them on the Vee base and push the scope forward a knats cock. huntsika might be right about your tube diameter being 25.4. I have two Kahles scopes one from about 1990 and the other '95 both have steel tubes. Is yours a CT ?
    Unfortunately not – it’s as far forward as possible and I’m reluctant to muck around adding shims. I guess it’s an option to trim up a bit of drink can – it would just annoy me knowing its there.

I think the Kahles is at CT and I’m reasonably sure it’s a 25.4mm tube as I’ve had this scope of several other rifles. It did appear to clamp down tight in the mounts but ill recheck tonight.

Are there alterative scope mounts that I could consider?

Or perhaps I use the open sights until I can find a suitable 36mm scope that wouldn’t look out of place. Anyone got anything along the lines of Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss etc?