Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Sako upgrades advice

Sako upgrades advice

Hey guys
    New to the forum but read a lot of your previous story's
    Anyway got my self a a7 3006 only 3x9 on it added Harris pod
    Wat would be your advice on where to next surppressor ? Brake? Scope
    Can't seem to find aftermarket stocks either
    Mostly hunt bush but this year I'm trying a few tops trips and wat to gear up gun to suit this
    Cheers fellas any info taken on board

I have an A7 in .270 WIN and got a McMillan stock for about USD$400 last year. Bell and Carlson make an A7 Medalist stock for Beretta USA but you cannot buy the stock as an after market upgrade. It is only offered on a few A7 variants like the Tecomate and Cabelas exclusives like the A7 Big Game Hunter and A7 Long Range Hunter.

There are two new versions of the A7 on the Sako Finland web site - SAKO A7

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4245
Size:  468.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 9289
Size:  375.6 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4021
Size:  321.8 KB
    kokako likes this.
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

welcome to the forum

I would say your pretty sorted already.

How far do you want to shoot?

hand loading a specific long range hunting load would be the best gain you could make.

bipods are often not able to be used depending on the terrain.

more information required.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Full noise View Post
    Hey guys
    New to the forum but read a lot of your previous story's
    Anyway got my self a a7 3006 only 3x9 on it added Harris pod
    Wat would be your advice on where to next surppressor ? Brake? Scope
    Can't seem to find aftermarket stocks either
    Mostly hunt bush but this year I'm trying a few tops trips and wat to gear up gun to suit this
    Cheers fellas any info taken on board
    -You only need a muzzle brake if you are recoil intolerant and want to damage your hearing.
    -You only need a suppressor to reduce noise, and gain a small recoil reduction, decide if that is important to you.
    -Decide how far you can and will shoot and get optics to suit, 3-9 will get you out to 400yds without drama.
    -Stock replacement for some, is about look, for some, is about a platform to get the best out of the rifle, decide why you want an aftermarket stock, then you know what to look for.
    -Learn to shoot offhand, off your knees, off your pack/bag, and you will never need a bipod, sell it and buy ammo.

If the rifle shots well as is, and you can see as far as you need to for the ranges you want to hunt to, nothing to do but go hunting!

sneakywaza I got
    [QUOTE=KiwiinSeattle;289800]I have an A7 in .270 WIN and got a McMillan stock for about USD$400 last year. Bell and Carlson make an A7 Medalist stock for Beretta USA but you cannot buy the stock as an after market upgrade. It is only offered on a few A7 variants like the Tecomate and Cabelas exclusives like the A7 Big Game Hunter and A7 Long Range Hunter.

There are two new versions of the A7 on the Sako Finland web site - SAKO A7

I have an A7 in .270 Shortmag, Bell and Carlson Medalist stock (The green one) , factory fluted black stainless barrel and fluted bolt, bought it second hand from a local gunshop, at $1400 I wasn't about to leave it on their shelf, gotta wonder how it got to NZ in the first place if they are that limited in edition.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post

I have an A7 in .270 Shortmag, Bell and Carlson Medalist stock (The green one) , factory fluted black stainless barrel and fluted bolt, bought it second hand from a local gunshop, at $1400 I wasn't about to leave it on their shelf, gotta wonder how it got to NZ in the first place if they are that limited in edition.
    That sounds like a nice package. The fluted bolt is unusual but the black factory fluted barrel (SS ??) is on the Varmint and Long Range Hunter models.

All of the variants listed above have a B&C stock (various colors) but none are really "limited editions". They are available in every Cabela's store for around $1,100 - a recent sale had every A7 variant in stock at $150 off list. A standard A7 in SS with the ST stock can be found for $800 new retail.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiinSeattle View Post
    That sounds like a nice package. The fluted bolt is unusual but the black factory fluted barrel (SS ??) is on the Varmint and Long Range Hunter models.

All of the variants listed above have a B&C stock (various colors) but none are really "limited editions". They are available in every Cabela's store for around $1,100 - a recent sale had every A7 variant in stock at $150 off list. A standard A7 in SS with the ST stock can be found for $800 new retail.
    So the spiral fluted bolt is not the usual on the Varmint and Long Range Hunter?, same bolt shows in your pics, but is only recent addition to the range? The black is some kind of coating over the stainless, possibly Ceracoat or similar. Least fussy rifle I have ever developed a load for, better than the various 308's I've done for people, and the 308 is the easiest calibre on the planet to load for! 5 shot half inch groups at 110yds with 110 ttsx, 130 ttsx, 130 Gameking, 130 Prohunter, 150 Gameking, 150 VLD Berger , in each case, first load tried with ADI 2213 at book max, starting at 40 thou off. What is a bloke supposed to do with a rifle that requires no tinkering!

Upgrade to a Tikka mate

nice looking rifle mate. I would recommend you invest in a suppressor, protect ur ears and tame some recoil. The ol 3006 in a light weight rig has decent boot and u don't want to end up recoil flinch. If you find you can get some decent groupings and u want to reach out further to touch fury critters then save your $ some good glass down the track

Why does everyone assume that anything bigger than a 22 will cause a recoil flinch?

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Upgrade to a Tikka mate
    Wash your heathen uneducated mouth out!

Our local indian takaway does a Tikka chicken masala, it gives me the shits too!
    BRADS and Gibo like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Why does everyone assume that anything bigger than a 22 will cause a recoil flinch?

Went through a period of just on 10rys where my only hunting rifle was a 300 Wby, no suppressor, no muzzle brake, everything it got pointed at died, got lots of crap about both ends of the rifle "hitting hard", never understood it. Gave Chaz Forsyth amusement watching me offhand shooting it at 2 litre coke bottles on the Bruce at 200m, one round per bottle. Too many forget the sling is for more than carrying the rifle on the shoulder. Decent butt pad, proper weight for calibre rifle and good technique, recoil is not the demon under the bed some think.

Gees this was a while back
    So new scope Zeiss conquest and getting digi camo Ceracote
    Undecided on fluting bolt and barrel as more to clean

Do you really wanna know what a upgraded sako is?

its called a howa
    BRADS and Skatieguy like this.

Have the feeling ur bout to tell me
    Toby likes this.