Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sako vixen options

Sako vixen options

Have the Opportunity to get a vixen it’s currently in 204ruger trueflite barrel and the owner is a good mate who used it as his work rifle
    (Goat culler) and so it has a very high round count could be anywhere from 6000-15000 rounds
    Still shooting well under moa at 100
    But I know Realistically if I grab it it will probably need to be rebarreled

My use for this rifle would be a general purpose small game rifle with the ability to take everything from bunny’s to smaller Species of deer and goats if required

Im thinking 6x45 (6mm-223)
    Is there any other good options
    Don’t really want a 222-223

Also what would you think a sako a1 (not a l461) (I understand that they are pretty much the same?)
    Would be worth in good but we’ll used condition

I think wingman has got a reamer in 6x45 and might be able to help you rebarrel your Sako.
    Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I think wingman has got a reamer in 6x45 and might be able to help you rebarrel your Sako.
    Yep been talking to wingman
    Via pm
    Just wanna see what others think aswell

I have one of Cam's Bartelin 6.5 featherweight barrel blanks that would be nice in a Vixen . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I have one of Cam's Bartelin 6.5 featherweight barrel blanks that would be nice in a Vixen . . . .
    If I could go 6.5 Grendel id be all over it
    Wingman informs me that this would be too much work as requires unobtainable parts aswell as the Obvious bolt face Modifications

The CZ 527 223 take off barrels can be fitted FWIW. My A1 222 has been thus rebarreled.

6.5-204 ?? Doesn't @mikee have one?
    Bill999 and Dusty Fog like this.

Yeah 6.5tcu is another option but looks like it’s only capable of just over 2000fps with a 120gn
    Just a bit slow for what i would want if I went 6.5 ideally id like to drive 100gn at 2800 and 120gn at 2600 ish
    6x45 stands out as the obvious option right now
    75 at about 2900 or 85 at about 2600 from what I hear

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Have the Opportunity to get a vixen it’s currently in 204ruger trueflite barrel and the owner is a good mate who used it as his work rifle
    (Goat culler) and so it has a very high round count could be anywhere from 6000-15000 rounds
    Still shooting well under moa at 100
    But I know Realistically if I grab it it will probably need to be rebarreled

My use for this rifle would be a general purpose small game rifle with the ability to take everything from bunny’s to smaller Species of deer and goats if required

Im thinking 6x45 (6mm-223)
    Is there any other good options
    Don’t really want a 222-223

Also what would you think a sako a1 (not a l461) (I understand that they are pretty much the same?)
    Would be worth in good but we’ll used condition

You are probably better off with either a Howa Mini or Rem Model 7 TBH, off the shelf replacement components available, can be picked up relatively cheap

'Flaws' of the Sako Vixen

- Sako dovetails, difficult to fit picatinny rail, expensive, can interfere with ejection, increases overall scope height unnecessarily

- Trigger OK but not excellent, think crisp break but a few lb's, replacement from Canjar is hen's teeth, could try and source a Maddco or Bix N Andy but huge cost

- Stocks, if you don't jive with the original wooden stock, you are pretty much stuck for 'off the shelf' replacements, McMillan used to inlet them but no longer, could try Wildcat Composites of Canada

- Bolt, the small size is a benefit and a disadvantage, extractor quite small, improved a bit on the A1 over the L461, parts like firing pin spring and bolt guide retention spring are hard to find.

- Internal box magazine does not fit very well into the action/stock assembly, follower and spring are not retained by the floorplate (it can slide out if you open the floorplate from the bottom)

-Ejector/bolt stop assembly, relies on a bent piano wire spring... not the most robust

- Been a bit mythologised by the books, yes it's a good rifle and probably the best 'small action' out there in terms of build quality, sadly it's been either over valued by collectors who now treat them like safe queens or the ones that have been heavily used (read abused) would require small parts to rebuild that cost more than the rifle is worth...

I own one, and love it, but it's not the bushman's equivalent of a lightsaber like some would have you believe...
    @rambo-6mmrem , Sako did make a PPC version as well so a Grendel would be possible.

@Norway did a nice 6.5 Grendel conversion with the less popular Sako S491

johnd likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    6x45 all the way. I've got two on Vixens, one with an 18" barrel & the other in 23". They are both very accurate, the 18" has the edge as its a Bartlein barrel and the other TF. Wingman will tell you all about the limitations of OAL in the mag, this is why you have to stick with a 45mm case, forget about TCU or 6mm204 or 6.5-204 its not long enough to be versatile over the 223 case.
    Hunter_Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Yeah 6.5tcu is another option but looks like it’s only capable of just over 2000fps with a 120gn
    Just a bit slow for what i would want if I went 6.5 ideally id like to drive 100gn at 2800 and 120gn at 2600 ish
    6x45 stands out as the obvious option right now
    75 at about 2900 or 85 at about 2600 from what I hear
    Fwiw my 6.5TCU in a 24 inch barrel drives a 130gnnosler rdf @ 2500fps. 123eld-m appro @ 2550fps.
    I have shot thousands and thru mine. Currently parked up as i have too many other things to shoot.
    Very effective it is
    Norway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Fwiw my 6.5TCU in a 24 inch barrel drives a 130gnnosler rdf @ 2500fps. 123eld-m appro @ 2550fps.
    I have shot thousands and thru mine. Currently parked up as i have too many other things to shoot.
    Very effective it is
    Wow that’s alot better than the load data suggested

Magazine length is the only draw back if you wanted to use long sleek pills.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Magazine length is the only draw back if you wanted to use long sleek pills.
    This. It's pretty cramped even with standard length bullets for .223. I assume it was designed around the shorter .222.
    Dreamer likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Pav
    @Bagheera has a short wee carbon stocked 6.5 Grendel built on a sako vixen action (originally 6mm PPC I believe).