Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sauer 101

Sauer 101

So who has had a play/shoot or know someone who has? Looking at them for something a bit different.

Played with a few Sauer 200 rifles - possible downside of the 101 is how the barrel is fitted into the action ...

Yep that and the lack of stainless is the only negative points i have heard for a NZ application. Anyone else had a play?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    They feel great in the hand, although that's subjective. The bolt cycle is smooth. Personally non stainless is not an issue for me, I nearly bought one but ended up with a Sako instead, although I think the Sauer would be every bit as good as a Sako.

A mate has one its awesome to carry and the bolt is great too. I think they have an in house mil spec type coating on them from memory

Sounding better and better. Yeh I'm not overly concerned with the whole stainless thing. It would be nice but there is a reason there are so many old 303s still kicking around. A good oil after a long trip and she will be good as gold.
    Talked to a gun smith last night regarding the whole barrel lock thing. He basically said you won't shoot out that barrel until you are grey with normal hunting and by that stage you would have bought so many other rifles it won't really matter.
    So i might have to pull the trigger

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Get it in 6.5x55 and your grandkids will still be shooting the same barrel
    Tommy likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Buy it, they are great value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im convinced. Just need to free up some cash and ill be sorted. Anyone used Talley one piece rings on their rem 700? the sauer takes 700 rings/bases and not sure if i trust them as opposed to the much heavier option of pic bases and warnes

Talley's are a good option

talleys are mint

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    I've shot the Sauer 101 a couple of times as a mate bought one based on my recommendation as I own a couple of 202's in .223 & .243. Really nice!
    I went to Sauer as I was really pissed off with my Sako stock peeling on the Finnlight ... gonzo ... never looked back!

I used a 202 for a period of about 6 months in Aussie on sambar. It had an alloy receiver that looked really shithouse when scratched up. (well my one did) also for the money the wood was quite average. Shot really well though, but worth it? Well that's for you to decide. Does the 101 have a steel receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I used a 202 for a period of about 6 months in Aussie on sambar. It had an alloy receiver that looked really shithouse when scratched up. (well my one did) also for the money the wood was quite average. Shot really well though, but worth it? Well that's for you to decide. Does the 101 have a steel receiver?
    The way you treat firearms they could be made of diamonds and you'd still scratch them

This is true. Only the strong survive in my gunsafe!

I personally thought the 202 was overrated for what it was. Unless you are genuinely interested in the switch barrel capabilities of the 202, I wouldn't recommend them on the basis that there is far greater value for money to be had in bolt actions