Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Savage .223

Savage .223

Anyone own a Savage .223? In particular the 11 International Trophy Hunter.. I'm looking for the best ammo for this gun

I have a Savage 14 American Classic 223, but using handloads at the mo (best group so far 9mm) and have only tried a couple of factory flavours - it didn't like Hornady training ammo or Winchester 64gr powerpoint, but was well under an inch with Fiocchi 69gr match. Know of a few people finding American Eagle 50gr good in Savage 223s too but haven't tested it in mine yet. What are you planning to shoot with it?

Ive only fired 50 rounds throught it so far; a box of Hornady 55gn soft point brass case (not training) and got a 30mm group which is a bit disappointing.. However that was when still sighting in. I might have a look at the AE 50gn Planning on shooting anything from rabbits and magpies to goats and maybe deer..

How were you supporting the rifle when sighting in?
    Sand bags, bipod or something else?
    And at what distance?
    Using a suppressor or not?

I've found the Hornady ammo to be very good in the rifles I've used it in.
    But doesn't hurt to get a few different boxes of ammo and try them.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Modern savages seem to have a default setting of liking federal ammo.
    Think American eagle is made by federal.

I am testing the 11 Trophy Hunter at the moment, it seems to like the American Eagle Varmint stuff that I am also testing

Rig is off pack, no surpressor. Here's those targets again - 50m and then 100m.

Name:  100mgroup.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  394.3 KB

oop, cancel that, there's the 100m as I can't find the other pic!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Savage .223 View Post
    Ive only fired 50 rounds throught it so far; a box of Hornady 55gn soft point brass case (not training) and got a 30mm group which is a bit disappointing.. However that was when still sighting in. I might have a look at the AE 50gn Planning on shooting anything from rabbits and magpies to goats and maybe deer..
    That's interesting? I bore sighted at 50m and chucked five at the paper at that distance to see how we'd go (I'd only just peeled the sticker off the rifle that's how new it is!) and got less than a 10mm group. First time I have ever patched out with just one sticker!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

I sighted it to be about 1.4" high at 100m and it was hitting zero at 200m. Using Remington bipod as support, no supressor, straight out of the box.. I'm thinking the bad group may have been my fault though.. Just wanted to know if anyone had this gun and knows what ammo it likes best, looks like Federal or American Eagle

I sighted it to be about 1.4" high at 100m and it was hitting zero at 200m. Using Remington bipod as support, no supressor, straight out of the box.. I'm thinking the bad group may have been my fault though.. Just wanted to know if anyone had this gun and knows what ammo it likes best, looks like Federal or American Eagle
    I'd be really interested to hear more of your thoughts about this rifle if you are keen, it could help me write my review I'm liking it so far! Louder than Black Beauty but the savage is quite light and pretty nifty. I hope I can knock over something tasty with it very soon.

PM me if you'd like to share your thoughts

Using Remington bipod as support, no supressor, straight out of the box.. I'm thinking the bad group may have been my fault though.
    30mm @ 100m isn't that bad tbh, remember the "amazing" Tikka 1 MOA accuracy guarantee that some people rave about is about 26mm @ 100yds, or 29mm @ 100m (groups are generally measured centre-to-centre as well in case you aren't doing that). I'd still expect the Savage to do a fair bit better with ammo it likes though.

I haven't used a Remington bipod but I had a guncity one and compared to a genuine Harris it was terrible (springy and wobbly at the same time), much easier to shoot consistent groups with the Harris. Does that model have the accustock? If not the softer fore-end might be more sensitive to bipod loading/technique as well. Another thing I find helpful is putting a rolled up jersey under the butt as a rear rest when prone.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Another thing I find helpful is putting a rolled up jersey under the butt as a rear rest when prone.
    I love this technique too Ben, my shooting has gotten so much better with a few little tips and that being one of them I also use my left hand bent back and resting under the butt, sort of pushing it back into my shoulder.

Name:  Dougs22.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  430.5 KB
    GravelBen likes this.

Dougie, sure thing. I would like to fire a few more rounds through it (next weekend) so I can see the accuracy then I'll let you know what I think the gun itself is very nice though
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I'd be really interested to hear more of your thoughts about this rifle if you are keen, it could help me write my review I'm liking it so far! Louder than Black Beauty but the savage is quite light and pretty nifty. I hope I can knock over something tasty with it very soon.

PM me if you'd like to share your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    30mm @ 100m isn't that bad tbh, remember the "amazing" Tikka 1 MOA accuracy guarantee that some people rave about is about 26mm @ 100yds, or 29mm @ 100m (groups are generally measured centre-to-centre as well in case you aren't doing that). I'd still expect the Savage to do a fair bit better with ammo it likes though.

I haven't used a Remington bipod but I had a guncity one and compared to a genuine Harris it was terrible (springy and wobbly at the same time), much easier to shoot consistent groups with the Harris. Does that model have the accustock? If not the softer fore-end might be more sensitive to bipod loading/technique as well. Another thing I find helpful is putting a rolled up jersey under the butt as a rear rest when prone.
    30mm is ok but Savage can do better than that
    I'm sure a Remington bipod is better than a gun city one.. It seems to be sturdy enough so far
    The Savage I have doesn't have an accustock so what does that mean with the "bipod loading technique"?

Just how you put pressure onto the bipod when you're shooting - whether you have it just resting, or push forward onto the bipod or whatever. Some rifles prefer different methods, you should be able to feel if there is any inconsistent flex when you do it though.

Tried the American Eagle 50gr varmint stuff in mine today, easy 20mm group from some quite casual shooting so no complaints from me.
    Dangerous Dan likes this.