Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By ZQLewis

Thread: SAVAGE 99

SAVAGE 99

Savage 99, having a bit of a play with one. What is the best method to shoot off a rest, padded or bi-pod.

I had one for some years but never bothered with a rest

if they like a BLR.......the least amount of pressure up front the better,firm grip of action behind forestock worked best for us.
    tetawa likes this.

Just wanted to see what it will do, with the fore end wood to barrel set up didn't think a bi-pod would give the best results. Don't like the safety position set up. very awkward for a lefty. May have a short time in my possession.

Banned
    They are very accurate, better than most bolt actions especially for a second shot ( two deer, not because you missed with the first )

The takedown models keep zero, take off the forewood unscrew the barrel and stow in your pack. Reassemble and away you go, quite amazing really for a 90 year old rifle A friend has one in 250 savage and it will outshoot many modern rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The takedown models keep zero, take off the forewood unscrew the barrel and stow in your pack. Reassemble and away you go, quite amazing really for a 90 year old rifle A friend has one in 250 savage and it will outshoot many modern rifles.
    This one is 250 Savage but has had the original barrel replaced with a Hawkins barrel

Hawkins Barrel so should shoot well with some technique.
    I shot a number of goats and deer with a 99 in 243 between late 1980 and up to 3 years back. Never worked hard on accuracy as 1.5" 3 shot groups was always enough for any game animal within 200 mtr.
    Last year I started work with a 99 in 358. same 1.5" 3 shot groups with no real effort.
    The 243 I always used a pack etc under my fore hand.
    The 358 I have a bipod and then a 2 point sling wrapped around my arm as it is inclined to lift under recoil.
    My main concern it that after I remove the for-end and refit it with different tension it may move.
    I have a Boyds laminated stock and have worked to reduce the stress between where it fits to the action and clamps up to the barrel. This was certainly an area that could put force on to the barrel. I do still have unresolved concerned about movement in the butt stock. Seems to be more an issue with the boyds stock rather than the original, could be my fault with minor re leaving of the boyds stock to remove friction with the action. May need to bed it.
    Z
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.