Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By zimmer
  • 5 Post By zimmer

Thread: Savage Extractor Replacement

Savage Extractor Replacement

Might be of interest……..long story.

Recently I had a self induced disaster – I broke the tip off the extractor claw on my Savage 22 Hornet (currently my favorite toy). I did a careless thing, tried to chamber an empty case from my BRNO Hornet in the Savage to see if it would fit. Mmmm it wouldn’t, far too tight dickhead and when I wrenched the bolt back (should have poked the case out with cleaning rod) I tore the tip off the RH extractor. And it wasn’t hard to do, no undue force.

Stripped both left and right claws out and examined them and they appeared to be poorly made mild steel stampings although the shear point had a crystalline look about it so maybe it was a tad harder/tougher than the rest of it

Then, just to compound matters over the course of the next few days I “lost” the RH broken one in my reloading room – no, it’s not too untidy. F…wit! Turned the joint upside down – at least useful to retrieve dead bloody primers.

That left me with only with the LH side claw.

Contacted Savage – no spares as rifle discontinued a few years ago, not very good. Nothing at Numrich or Brownells. Put posting on the USA Savage forum asking for assistance – no responses.

So, to make one myself. Searched thru all my junk steel and eventually found a very old scraper made out of a power hack saw blade – perfect for thickness and hardness. Replacement ended up taking many many hours to make. Thank goodness for the good old Dremel. Couldn’t totally use the LH claw as a template either as its tip is shaped slightly different to the RH side so had to do some suck it and see – shape a bit, try, shape a bit, try. Shit scared I would remove too much metal and have to start again. Bit of trickiness getting the right angle on the tip so that it engaged with the rim correctly and the cone shape of the back of the barrel. I was also able to just view the tips by looking in the gas ports on either side of the action and all good. Tempered the finished item and refitted everything and you beauty, perfect extraction. I will probably replace the LH claw at some stage as it is showing signs of wear.

Message to self – don’t do that again. Hate to think what a smith would have charged.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

Name:  LH Extractor.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  984.9 KB
    Name:  Extractor.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  891.8 KB
    Name:  Ready To Re-Assemble.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  320.3 KB
    Name:  Finished.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  343.5 KB
    Last edited by zimmer; 17-01-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added photo

Good effort, that sounds... frustrating.

I presume it was quite an old model if they aren't making parts anymore?

northdude
    go the hornet i love my 2 my krico wont chamber cases that have been fired in the h&r handi

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Good effort, that sounds... frustrating.

I presume it was quite an old model if they aren't making parts anymore?
    Introduced in 2005 and discontinued sometime between then and now. Not popular as was a single shot varmint rifle.

Ah I see, interesting one. Looks more like their rimfire bolts than the other centrefires.

ebf
    The bolt and extractor look similar to my Walther KKM
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute