Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Savage model 11 lightweight hunter

Savage model 11 lightweight hunter

Has anyone got the following rifle and can give some feedback on them? 5.5lb bare weight and walnut stock has my attention. Cheers

My brother has one in .223. Loves it. I really enjoy using it too..

Really nicely balanced, action smoothed up very nicely after a little bit of use. Just a really pleasant rifle to use.

I got one in 7mm08 to review with the new Weaver grand slam.

In short: loved the scope. Loved the reticle, the smoothness of the zoom, the low profile (compared to my older model which is a bit chunky).

Rifle wise - I could not get it to shoot. I think this was heavily due to me. I found the length of pull longer than my other savage and being unsuppressed I started flinching and pulling. I could shoot no better than 2MOA I took a bit of footage of me shooting and the oversize length of pull left me quite 'open' if that makes sense. My master arm was over extended and neck crooked right out forward. Put me in a really weak position.

I was really heartbroken as I wanted to love it as much as my other savage! It looks shit hot in my opinion and the price is awesome. The action was beautiful and the Mag seemed a bit sturdier than my one on my.223 (Mag is plastic with a plastic clip)

Anyway sorry for the waffling... I learnt a lot from testing that gun. Wish I had one in midget size. (I don't really like any of their youth rifles). Enjoy, I'm jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

GWH
    Ive recently acquired one in 6.5 Creedmoor, i quite like it, i think, but haven't hunted it yet (have too many rifles)

I find its fairly lively to shoot off the bench, being reasonably light and really light in the barrel.

If i was looking for a nice light rifle to hunt, i reckon the Kimber Montana in stainless would be hard to beat tho, this Savage with its wooden stock is a pretty looking thing, maybe too pretty for me. Im still undecided on it, but i have a few options in the safe to choose from now, if i didnt i would probably love it.

Name:  20160510_101709_resized.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  757.4 KBName:  20160510_113747_resized.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  690.5 KB
    kiwijames likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I got one in 7mm08 to review with the new Weaver grand slam.

In short: loved the scope. Loved the reticle, the smoothness of the zoom, the low profile (compared to my older model which is a bit chunky).

Rifle wise - I could not get it to shoot. I think this was heavily due to me. I found the length of pull longer than my other savage and being unsuppressed I started flinching and pulling. I could shoot no better than 2MOA I took a bit of footage of me shooting and the oversize length of pull left me quite 'open' if that makes sense. My master arm was over extended and neck crooked right out forward. Put me in a really weak position.

I was really heartbroken as I wanted to love it as much as my other savage! It looks shit hot in my opinion and the price is awesome. The action was beautiful and the Mag seemed a bit sturdier than my one on my.223 (Mag is plastic with a plastic clip)

Anyway sorry for the waffling... I learnt a lot from testing that gun. Wish I had one in midget size. (I don't really like any of their youth rifles). Enjoy, I'm jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like you need a Rem Model 7, i love the small size of them, slightly shorter LOP, shorter stock, thinner fore-end, short barrel.

I have one. .223
    Love it. Can't fault it.
    You can get them in stainless now.

NZGuns have just tested a 7-08 stainless (report not published yet). Shot under moa at 200.
    7mmsaum likes this.

I've also used one in 223 and really liked it.

Im looking at one in 308 , if they are lively to shoot maybe i should look at something a tad heavier?

Caretaker

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Im looking at one in 308 , if they are lively to shoot maybe i should look at something a tad heavier?
    Buy it, get some nice boots, spend the time in the hills that you would only have wasted on a good looking woman, find deer, harvest them, live your life long and healthy, say to yourself "recoil? What recoil
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 10-06-2016 at 08:49 AM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Put a muffler on it. That will make it pleasant to shoot.
    You won't regret getting the Lightweight Savage.

7mmsaum and gadgetman like this.

Sounds good to me, whats the usual price in a shop for one?

Around $1300, from memory.

Assume you may be looking at the .308 one on trademe that's had some money thrown at it for little gain..

There are also a couple being cleared out from ex-sportways stock on there, in 223 and 243. (tme username hv6) Ex-samples, priced a shade over $1k

Definitely agree with Tahr about throwing a suppressor on... but I would say that about pretty much any rifle.

Caretaker
    The stainless model would be nice for overnighters

Get a price from Giles at Taihape Sports. He got mine for me and it was a sharp price.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Get a price from Giles at Taihape Sports. He got mine for me and it was a sharp price.
    Think he has the sharpest prices in NZ