Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Savage Project

Savage Project

Greetings guys,

Just in the process of doing a wee Savage Project.

I became a fan of these Rifles because they were a little different and I liked the idea's behind the Barrel Nut and the Bolt head offering some changeability for a decent price.

The Goal is to Make a Decent Mid Range Varmint Rig... I was using a Predator Hunter Max 1 in .223 but the Pills were a little light for the ranges I was shooting at. (Up to 700 yds)

I found a Weather Warrior 22-250 on Trade Me for a great price after the Rifle I had ordered (and waited 12 weeks for) got sold to someone else... The 22-250 shares the same bolt head as the .243 so I am thinking that it will end up getting a New fast twist Heavy Fluted Barrel to throw the 90-105 grain pills.

I have stuck it in a Choate Stock for now, I found it well priced in the USA and shipped it home. I was thinking of an XLR but I'll see how she shoots in the Choate and if it's looking good then I may consider the XLR for a later purchase.

Name:  IMG-20130912-WA0001.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  63.6 KB

AS you can see, the Choate offers a decent float for the sporter barrel... I'm gonna use it in this config until I can be bothered with the barrel change next year when I go away for a few months and wont be using the Rifle.

Name:  IMG-20130912-WA0002.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  61.6 KB

Other purchases are,
    DPT Modular Can
    Timney Trigger
    Sightron 8-32X56
    EGW Rail
    Leupold MK4 Rings
    Southern Ordnance Bolt Knob
    PTG Bolt Face
    PTG Fluted Body

Once I have thrown it together I'll post her up.. Right now she is wearing a mates Sightron 6-24X50 and none of the upgrades.

I have considered the 6mbr but I cant seem to find the brass that easy and I'm only a novice re-loader...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bryan likes this.

Is it a 1:9" twist .22-250?? If so, just load some 75gr Amax in it and call it good

Think that age Savage will be 1:12 (like pretty much anything else in 22-250), its only the newer varmint ones that are 1:9 from the factory.

Now I'm watching this build on 2 forums... I wonder if it will turn out the same on both.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Is it a 1:9" twist .22-250?? If so, just load some 75gr Amax in it and call it good
    Now then, where is the fun in that!?

I'm thinking of heavier pills mate... a few reasons but mainly stopping power.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Savage Project

6BR brass is easy to find. 45South and Belmont will have it anyway of the week. You will struggle to get a 6BR in a repeater though. Single stack mags are best (eg Tikka T3).
    6x47L is very efficient as is 6XC ( use your existing 22-250 brass too).
    You will need a 1:8 for the 105
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

87-105 grain pills... Some one else said 1:8 too so I had better start listening!

Just found an article by David Tubb with the calibres you mentioned.. I'll have a read and see what I can come up with.

It's gotta be a Repeater too, I will be downing a few Goats as a culling tool and prefer the ease of mag loaded rounds.

Not to sound excessively boring but from your criteria it sounds as though a fast.twist
    .243 barrel is what you require. Reliable feeding. Cheap componemts. Good accuracy and velocity. Will be a very long range rabbit/moderate range larger game rifle.
    They do eat barrels a bit if pushed really hard but the money saved elsewhere will pay for extra barrel wear or just dont push it to absolute max

Yeah, Its pretty much heading in that direction and I appreciate the feedback.

There is always a cost factor with anything and it has to be shootable enough to practice without burning too bigger hole in the wallet!

Wont be pushing them too hard but still want the speed and accuracy so I'll try 87 and up.. Reckon that will be better than the 50 gr BT that I was using.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
    Try these guys for Savage stuff (if they still will ship to NZ) .
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

SSS were not interested in shipping anything out here when i last tried about 2 months ago

I have already bought the stuff needed less the barrel. Will probably get ssrnz to do the re barrel and head spacing. I'm thinking a light varmint or varmint profile with fluting and black matte finish. Scotty has done some work for me before and it was immaculate.

Iv allways wanted a 22-243, which would be easy as pie to make out of reaming the 22-250 barrel if you were so inclined

Hmm.... I'll have a looky. To be fair... the sporter barrel will heat too quickly so its gotta go at some stage... About to Google now..

Ha... it's known as "The Barrel Burner" ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Iv allways wanted a 22-243, which would be easy as pie to make out of reaming the 22-250 barrel if you were so inclined
    Problem is, you would likely be stuck with a slow 1:14 twist barrel and limited in bullet weight.