Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: SCHULTZ AND LARSEN CLASSIC DL

SCHULTZ AND LARSEN CLASSIC DL

Anyone with experience with the new S&L rifles either the classic or 97DL ,I've read the rod and rifle review and they look the bizzo , talked to the importers and they are waiting on a shipment due next month . They retail at 2600 not to bad for a switch barrel rifle with a bit of pedigree.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Talk with tahr think he has or had one.
    Not sure if his was the DL though I think they are 4k plus, classic possibly.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mine's a Classic in 6.5x55. Consistently superbly accurate. No half cock at all. Smoothest action you will find, its like an oiled piston. Nice trigger.
    I selected my rifle out of 2 to get lighter weight wood. They can be a bit heavy (not excessive though, 7lb). Mine is lighter. Don't rust. Will last a life time.

von tempsky fan, ZG47 and Woody like this.

Very nice rifle.

@Woody has a few
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Brian has seen mine being used quite a bit, and he raves about it. Well...he smiled about it once and with Brian that could easily be interpreted as a rave. And he knows about good hunting rifles. Its one of those rifles that you can have extreme confidence in. Just get in behind it and it shoots stuff.

Mechanically I would rate them better than Sako, but their beechwood stock lets them down a little (or did on the early production runs which mine is one of).

Another thing about mine is that it shoots any load and any bullet really well.
    S&L's web site though is shit.

Last edited by Tahr; 25-07-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    Philipo likes this.

I'm going to get one in to have a look at , I was tosing up between sako and mauser until I read an old rod and rifle . Theres not to many reviews on them.

They are a very neat and nicely made action having seen a couple (including Bruce's I think) but the lack of stainless, etc lets them down for my desires

I just got ginga's kimber montana , I rate it but I really love wood blued rifles .
    Iv got to agree with you Tahr ,the S&L website is absolutely shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Brian has seen mine being used quite a bit, and he raves about it. Well...he smiled about it once and with Brian that could easily be interpreted as a rave. And he knows about good hunting rifles. Its one of those rifles that you can have extreme confidence in. Just get in behind it and it shoots stuff.

Mechanically I would rate them better than Sako, but their beechwood stock lets them down a little (or did on the early production runs which mine is one of).

Another thing about mine is that it shoots any load and any bullet really well.
    S&L's web site though is shit.

Serco.
    Were they controlling the imigration back then.?

Jakewire, that Tahr was over in the creek that Oscar shot his big bull in. There were dozens of them and needed a thinning, so I got stuck in a bit. I think I shot 7 (I took all of the rumps and back steaks), and Brian and Craigc shot a few too. I didn't feel bad about it because they were doing a bit damage to the flora.
    Craigc shot one on the walk out and I've got a hard case pic of it tangled up in the station boundary. It just about made it to safety, but not quite We went in over the top, and walked out down the creek, quite a slog.

Anyway, that shooting was with the S&L and 140 grn AMax and it was knocking them over no trouble.

I've had Sako, BSA, Mauser, Voere, Remington, Winchester, BRNO, PH, SMLE, and Steyr Mannlicher and overall IMHO the only one coming close to the Schultz and Larsen's was the Voere Titan II, but the stock shape of the Voere didn't suit me. Unfortunately, the original Voere factory shut down after the banning of hunting in Northern Europe for many years after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. For me, over 50 years of shooting, the S&L was, is and remains my choice for a rifle under $5000. I agree with Tahr comments. If you want one with really high grade wood, then these are available to customised order. CR Pain in Auckland (James Pain) are the agents in NZ. Yes, the S&L website is not good, but if you Google "Hunters House' and similar European sites you can find most of the up to date information on models, spare barrels etc.

Name:  S&L 308 ClassicDL rhs.jpg
Views: 3321
Size:  853.1 KB

I used a S & L 7x61 for a while and like Tahr found it very smooth in the action and it wasnt too bad on the accuracy either. The only real issue that I had with it was the length of the barrel, damn it was long. You had to keep an eye on the bolt as well as with no half cock it would just spit the loaded case out very easily.
    Stock work was very nice

S&L rifles are manufactured in Denmark. You're absolutely right about the website - its NOT good! Look at the following links to see models etc. (sites in Danish but maybe You'll figure it out anyway!):

Bssemagerarbejde for jgere og sportsskytter. Kvalitetsarbejde, reparation og service af haglgevrer, rifler, pistoler og revolvere.
    Schultz & Larsen - prisliste.

Greetings from the Northern Hemisphere!