Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Happy
  • 3 Post By Philipo
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Scope choice for both 308 & 7RM

Scope choice for both 308 & 7RM

Gday,

I have a family friend travelling to the states over the next 4 weeks, he has a license which enables him to bring back rifle scopes without any issues.

I have a Sako Bavarian 308 that I would like to dedicate to bush hunting, would like some recommendations for a low powered scope that'd be suitable. Shooting a maximum of out to 150 I would say. The little VX-3i look quite good?

Also have a 7RM which I have setup as a mountain type rifle, carbon stock etc. Currently has a 3-9x42 but thinking it would be fun to have something along the lines of a 3-18x44 for some longish range shooting. Wanting to keep this as light as possible. This rifle will be used most out of both.

Looking at the VX-6 3-18x44 & Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44. Not sure which reticle I should be considering with either..? Or if I should be looking at another brand/make.

A lot of info there, but any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Gday,

I have a family friend travelling to the states over the next 4 weeks, he has a license which enables him to bring back rifle scopes without any issues.

I have a Sako Bavarian 308 that I would like to dedicate to bush hunting, would like some recommendations for a low powered scope that'd be suitable. Shooting a maximum of out to 150 I would say. The little VX-3i look quite good?

Also have a 7RM which I have setup as a mountain type rifle, carbon stock etc. Currently has a 3-9x42 but thinking it would be fun to have something along the lines of a 3-18x44 for some longish range shooting. Wanting to keep this as light as possible. This rifle will be used most out of both.

Looking at the VX-6 3-18x44 & Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44. Not sure which reticle I should be considering with either..? Or if I should be looking at another brand/make.

A lot of info there, but any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    I have quite a few you'd be welcome to come take a look through from Loopy to Vortex,HD5 ,Nightforce,SWF , Sightron
    And a few variations of each also Just let me know
    Happy New Year as well !
    Cheers Happy
    hotsoup likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    For ya bush gun yeah a VX3 1.5-5 x 20, 2.5-8 x 32 or maybe a VXR 1.25-4 x 20 I run one of these on my bush stumpy & they're a good bit of kit.

As for ya LR rig, yeah either VX6 or Z5 are good options, the Leupy has more elevation with their zero stop models but is slightly heavier, I run a Z5 on my LW mountain rifle, it has great glass & their 4W windage plex is excellent, down side is they only have 13.5 moa adjustment ( but thats plenty for hunting )

You do need to shop around in the States to save any real money, prices in NZ are far more competitive now days & saves any hassle if you have a warranty claim.
    northdude, hotsoup and duckdog like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

As above , 2.5x8x36 for your 308. 4.5x14x 40 or more for you 7 rem depending on how much dead weight you want to carry with you.

Have they started selling the VX6 HD's yet? double turn zero stop lockable turrets. Look awesome
    Philipo likes this.