Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scope decision

Scope decision

I'm in the process at the moment of upgrading my scope. I've got the option of getting my parents to pick me up a scope while they're in Canada over the next couple of weeks which would save me a fair bit of money in import tax but I'm really struggling to decide on what scope to get.

I've currently got the Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 on my Sako A7 7mm08 and its not great at low light and isn't much use out past 300m.

I've been looking pretty hard at the vortex range as I like their warranty and feel like they're a pretty good purchase for the price but I'm really stuck as to what model I should be getting. I'm most definitely open to other manufacturers but feel like I'm getting the best bang for my buck with Vortex.
    • I'm wanting something with a bit more magnification range eg; 3-12 or 4-14/16.
    • I don't see a huge difference in Objective sizes so I'm not worried between 40-50mm. Whats the downside to having more FOV? Apart from slightly more weight?
    • I'm wanting to stretch the 7mm08 out to 400m so most probably want a scope that is dial-able
    • The rangefinder I'll be using will be in meters
    • Exposed Turrets would be my best option I imagine
    • I'm 80% a tops hunter

Been looking at the Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 lately but still not sure whether its the best option.

If you had $800NZD roughly, what would you be looking at?

Cheers