Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Scope decision

Scope decision

I'm in the process at the moment of upgrading my scope. I've got the option of getting my parents to pick me up a scope while they're in Canada over the next couple of weeks which would save me a fair bit of money in import tax but I'm really struggling to decide on what scope to get.

I've currently got the Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 on my Sako A7 7mm08 and its not great at low light and isn't much use out past 300m.

I've been looking pretty hard at the vortex range as I like their warranty and feel like they're a pretty good purchase for the price but I'm really stuck as to what model I should be getting. I'm most definitely open to other manufacturers but feel like I'm getting the best bang for my buck with Vortex.

• I'm wanting something with a bit more magnification range eg; 3-12 or 4-14/16.
    • I don't see a huge difference in Objective sizes so I'm not worried between 40-50mm. Whats the downside to having more FOV? Apart from slightly more weight?
    • I'm wanting to stretch the 7mm08 out to 400m so most probably want a scope that is dial-able
    • The rangefinder I'll be using will be in meters
    • Exposed Turrets would be my best option I imagine
    • I'm 80% a tops hunter

Been looking at the Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 lately but still not sure whether its the best option.

If you had $800NZD roughly, what would you be looking at?

Cheers

To me, clarity is more important than mag range. An excellent 8x is better than an average 12x and so on.
    So I would say buy the best optics that you can afford, even if the top end magnification is not right up there.

Last night I passed up a 525 yard shot right on dark because of the hazy conditions. My scope is a HD5 Zeiss 3-15 which is no cheapo and over 10 power I couldn't see a thing, and even then with him standing in the scrub I couldn't be sure that I wouldn't have just hurt him rather than killed him. He was an excellent stag, and maybe with an even better scope I might have taken the shot. Brian on here was with me, and with the HD5 I was getting a better picture through my scope than he he was through his 10x Kane's binos. But I still needed better.

So don't skimp, and get the best you can if you are serious about getting the big guys.
    Not so important for meat harvesting. Which I'm mostly doing, but last night was a real lesson to me.
    veitnamcam likes this.

for that price I would get $800 worth of leupold

Glass quality is of more benefit than extra 12 or 14x.
    I'd prefer leupy 3-9 that a higher mag range in a red field or vortex.
    Dan M

Bigger objectives only allow you a little more magnification at last light, not enough of an advantage imo to outweigh the increase in size. Better bet would be a 40mm scope with a first focal plane reticle in mils or moa that way any measured range can be compensated for irrespective of mag off the reticle saves a lot of faffing around with the turrets. Vortex would be my pick, but then Im biased that way (got 3)

Go in to Shooters Supplies and see Andy, and you'll get the forum VIP price on a Vortex.
    IMO Vortex are better value for money than a Leupy.
    PERRISCICABA and Sasquatch like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Bigger objectives only allow you a little more magnification at last light
    huh?

I replaced my Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 by 50. Fantastic scope for the price, I haven't looked back. It is clearer than a whole lot of more expensive priced scopes and the magnification gives you just a bit more at each end. +1 on the clarity over magnification but I have to say that the bigger lens makes a significant difference on light gathering to me. Probably most notable during dusk and dawn. I missed a really good fallow buck with the Burris because I couldn't see his body or head in the bush (only his antlers!). Wont happen next time.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkeye View Post
    huh?
    optically the light gathering power of a lens is limited by the size of the eyes pupil. Fully open that's round 7mm. Simply put divide the diameter of the scope by 7 to get the maximum magnification that lets all the light gathered into the eye. For a 40mm scope that's 5.5x and for a 50 mm that's 7x. Transparency of the optical glass is particularly important as well especially transmission of the longer red end of the spectrum at dusk or dawn

Ah - you don't "get" more magnification, you get more light for a given magnification (with a larger objective). That was confusing.

TJM
    Leupold

Thanks for the replies guys. @Tahr, thanks for the short story. You've definitely put a halt on any decision I was about to make. I'm struggling though as $800 is about as much as I can stretch at the moment and I feel any upgrade over the Burris is worth it, at least for the next year or so.

I find myself looking at scopes with larger and larger mag ranges and not taking into consideration overall clarity of the glass therefore I'm thinking I'll be better off sticking to 2.5-10 or 3-12/14 and put more importance on optical performance.

As I will be using a Leica BRF-M as my rangefinder, should I be cutting any scopes with MOA reticles from the running as all measurements will be in Meters.

Have noticed the Sightron III 3.5x10x44 LRMD/CM on Trademe for $800. Would this be a reasonably decision?

I'm already at the top of my budget sadly. Wish I could afford to go Nightforce or Swaro or something but after just spending all my savings on Leica Binos, I'm pretty bloody broke.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Go in to Shooters Supplies and see Andy, and you'll get the forum VIP price on a Vortex.
    IMO Vortex are better value for money than a Leupy.
    ... there's forum VIP pricing at Shooters Supplies?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    ... there's forum VIP pricing at Shooters Supplies?
    Sure is, eh Geoff and Andy ...... I'm sure @Shooters Supplies ChCh can expand further.

And/or sign up to their website and get VIP pricing on the web as well. Firearms & Ammunition | Gun Supplies | Shooters Supplies
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

Last night I passed up a 525 yard shot right on dark because of the hazy conditions. My scope is a HD5 Zeiss 3-15 which is no cheapo and over 10 power I couldn't see a thing, and even then with him standing in the scrub I couldn't be sure that I wouldn't have just hurt him rather than killed him. He was an excellent stag, and maybe with an even better scope I might have taken the shot. Brian on here was with me, and with the HD5 I was getting a better picture through my scope than he he was through his 10x Kane's binos. But I still needed better.

So don't skimp, and get the best you can if you are serious about getting the big guys.
    Not so important for meat harvesting. Which I'm mostly doing, but last night was a real lesson to me.
    Given the diminishing returns in scopes from HD 5 quality on wards, I'd guess the only thing that would have been of any real benefit, aside from a big electric moon, is a flux capacitor.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin