Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Scope options

Scope options

Criteria.

Weight less than 16oz
    Magnification minimum 2.5x, maximum 15x (3-15 would be ideal but 4-12 ok)
    No paralax adjustment.
    40-42mm objective
    1" tube
    Best glass you can buy for $750

Any suggestions?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quite a difficult task actually.
    Typically high zoom range scopes of good quality yet light weight are typically expensive.

A Leupold VX3 should be great glass but will either be 3.5-10 or 4.5-14, will be under weight but will probably have to import from the US.

A Nikon Monarch 3 3-12 or 4-16 will also be great glass, a little over weight, but under budget.

A Vortex Viper HS in 4-16 will be over weight, but good glass and under budget.

A Ziess Conquest will be over budget, excellent glass and possibly under weight.

A Swarvorski Z3 3-10 will be under weight but over price but excellent glass.

A Leupold VX6 2-12 would be great glass, great zoom range under weight, but too expensive.

A 3-9 in a Bushnell, Burris, Leupold or Nikon will be under weight, good glass and right price but not the best use of your budget (which may or may not be a bad thing).

I think the defining factor will be the defining factor. If you are happy with a 3-9 it'll be easy to find something.
    If you want a 3-12 or 4-12 or 4-16 or 3-15 then you will have to spend more money to get it under budget, or but up with more weight.
    Will probably have to import something from the US to get best value for money.

If I were in your position, I'd probably look for a Leupold VX3 or VX2 and put up with less zoom range, should find under budget.
    Or put up with more weight and go for a Nikon Monarch 3 3-12 or 4-16.

Actually a Sightron SII 4-16 should meet all those requirements.
    7mmsaum, Timmay, kiwijames and 2 others like this.

i vote for the vortex i landed mine for $760nzd very good glass 4"eye relief 30mm tube.

Great info @Beetroot.
    Thanks very much.
    I know it is a hard ask but thought this would be the best place try.
    You mentioned a number of scopes I have considered and a few I hadn't.
    I already have a VX3 4.5-14 CDS on another rifle and really like it. My only issue is fov on low power (and the price of
    course). Would like a bit more.
    What is the cheaper Dimondback series like? I see they have a 4-12.

VX-1 4x12 would be $5-600 ish.

Check this option and prices. I have 3 Vortex's(2X HS-T 4-16 and a PST 6.5-24) and love it, Minox is an option.

Minox ZA 5 HD 3-15x50 Riflescope FREE S&H 66445, 66446, 66441, 66440, 66442, 66444. Minox Rifle Scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Great info @Beetroot.
    Thanks very much.
    I know it is a hard ask but thought this would be the best place try.
    You mentioned a number of scopes I have considered and a few I hadn't.
    I already have a VX3 4.5-14 CDS on another rifle and really like it. My only issue is fov on low power (and the price of
    course). Would like a bit more.
    What is the cheaper Dimondback series like? I see they have a 4-12.
    I think if FOV at close range is your main worry, and especially with experience of what you don't want, I'd go for something with 3x on the bottom end.

I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 which I love, in low light it was either a tie or slightly better than a mates Viper PST and that has a 30mm tube and 50mm lens.
    I don't know much about the Daimondbacks, but the interweb tells me the Vipers are a step up, and I think I prefer my Nikon over the Viper PST.
    I would probably look into the 3-12x42 Monarch. I know you said you don't want parallax adjustment, but you could always set it to 100yards and just leave it there, then it'll be like a non adjustable scope, the parallax knob locks on the Monarch so you wouldn't have to worry about it moving.

Your best bet is probably to find a few options you like and do as much research online as you can. two people can look through the same two scopes and both say one is better than the other. Read reviews, take them all with a grain of salt but look for trends. Weigh up which of your specs are more important that the other.
    But at the end of the day many of the scopes are as close as makes no difference, so you can't go to far wrong.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    Check this option and prices. I have 3 Vortex's(2X HS-T 4-16 and a PST 6.5-24) and love it, Minox is an option.

Minox ZA 5 HD 3-15x50 Riflescope FREE S&H 66445, 66446, 66441, 66440, 66442, 66444. Minox Rifle Scopes.
    How do your HS-Ts compare with the PST?

Hi @Beetroot,
    Regards my Vortex's, the HS-T is a "lighter" version of the PST, with only a "second focal plane" reticle option and without the illuminated reticle("in my view"), via the manufacturer it "is" or "was" designed for hunting within long range and the ability of a quick and easy dial turrets. The PST is a "tactical" and a bit more "advanced" scope with illuminated reticle, multiple options of reticles and first or second focal plane. Both scopes has the same range of magnifications (4-16X and 6.5-24X) they have a great glass that in my view is up there with the "not so expensive" and average price in between 350-700US$ "first grade scopes", it has a very tough built and is a bit over weight when compared with other scopes with and without the same features.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X50 with varmint reticle and target turrets that is "AMAZING" too and i use it on my .223 for "light" bush hunt.

Hope it help a bit, do not hesitate to PM me if you need a chat for more info.

Cheers.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    How do your HS-Ts compare with the PST?

I do range work for a gunsmith I have shot a couple of vortex lately they are a great scope
    Great sight picture and clear
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Thanks again for the info. The Nikon does sound like a good option. Paralax adjustment is low on the priority list and not a biggie.
    Checked some specs and all of the above mentioned have a MUCH better fov than the VX3 4.5-14. That is far more important to me for my purposes.
    Weaver grand slam 3-12 ? Any comments compared to the others?

Just saw the weight of the Nikon.....bit tubby, one of the disadvantages of paralax adjustment. (Rifle is heavy enough already)
    Weaver don't list a weight.
    Last edited by Shearer; 16-09-2014 at 09:16 PM.

A bushnell 6500 2.5x16x42 would do everything you ask, comes in slightly under you're weight limit.

I like mine a lot
    kiwijames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    A bushnell 6500 2.5x16x42 would do everything you ask, comes in slightly under you're weight limit.

I like mine a lot
    Price may be an issue....

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Price may be an issue....
    yeah slightly above but could probably get one landed for $1000nzd. Also just double checked at they come in at 17.3oz.

I also have a vortex diamonback 2-7x33 and its pretty good generally.

From you're requirements i would be looking at something in the 2.5-10 magnification range/ Maybe a vortex viper HS 2.5-10x44? should come in well under price??

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post

I like mine a lot
    +1... I love mine!!!!