Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MSL
  • 1 Post By Hiawatha
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: Scope options for hunting sbr

Scope options for hunting sbr

I've been scavaging the interweb, and I can't decide what to do about an optic for my 6.8 build. A little background. It's a 12.5" sbr that will be used for hogs and deer. A mix of stand shooting, and spot and stalk shooting. Average shots will be
    I have looked at the Leupold hog and AR mod 1 series, vortex Diamondback hp and vipers so far. There are just so many choices out there these days that I can't possibly keep up with them all. Let's hear what's working for everyone here. Thank you.

the loopy hogplex1-5 is a neat scope that should do the job nicely

Aimpoint or trs25 with open sights as a backup,quick detach rings with a Kahles 2-7 is my setup,works mint.

MSL
    A trijicon RMR works for me out to 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    carlhurley likes this.

1-5 or 2.5-8

what is an SBR? Forgive my ignorance. I use an Aimpoint Micro. Best red dot out. Shots on pigs and deer in open out to 150m. I have used a Vortex strike eagle 1 - 8 in QD mounts to swap over to. It is full of all sorts of flash bits but is a lot bigger and heavier and the low light performance is not a patch on the wee Leupolds. To be frank dont over think reticles etc. Simple reticules are faster to use IMO. If you are wanting speed of operation and small size then a 1-5 loopy is as good as anything. I have a 1.5 - 5 with German #4 reticle and it is a cracker. Way way smaller than the vortex and a heap lighter. That helps with your rifle handling. Red dots are good on crossing shots where the target is fast and in the open but in low light and when you need to be extra sure of what you are looking at then a scope is the way to go. Get a 1-4 or 1.5 - 5 x20 and start with that. You will probably not use anything else.
    Micky Duck likes this.

"Short barreled rifle" usually refers to one of those nasty evil, mind controlling black rifles only our lords and masters are allowed to even touch now I believe as they are soo dangerous to regular mortals
    Micky Duck likes this.

I don't like 1-4 my scopes live on 3-4 power as a min,
    2-7,2.5-8 or 3-9 Leupold would be what I recommended

I have a Viper PST 2.5-10 and a PST Gen2 1-6.

I love the 1-6, super fast to pick up a target and shoot with both eyes open. I find on smaller targets I like a little magnification even at short range so usually shoot it on 1.5x-2x.
    The 2.5-10 is a really nice scope but the FOV is a lot narrower on the Gen 1 PSTs and the 2.5x on the lower end is a little too much for super quick target acquisition.
    I really like the Leupold VX6 2-12, on 2x it's super faster to pick up targets and have a really wide FOV.

I personally don't think you need a true 1x scope for hunting, 2x is low enough for most applications.
    The most important spec to look for is FOV, a wide FOV makes a huge difference and can make up for slightly higher magnification.

Low power scopes are pretty common, there are lots of options out there and all do things slightly differently.
    Other factors like weight, cost, reticle, FFP/SFP and max magnification will dictate what scope best suits your application.

If super short range is what you will do most go for a 1-4, 1-6 etc, like the PST 1-6 or VX5 1-5
    For short and medium range hunting go for a VX5hd 2-10.
    If you want tactical style 2-10 with FFP and a milling reticle, well your options are very limited.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a few Loopys, mostly duplex reticle.
    VX Hog 1-4x20 (pigplex)
    VX1 2-7x33
    VX3i 2.5-8x36
    VX Freedom 3-9x40
    And had a VX5HD 3-15x44 (firedot duplex)

I tend to find around 2 or 2.5x magnification good for in the bush, for an all rounder I would go for the 2-7, the VXR with firedot would be nice.
    The 1-4 would be better for real close stuff such as bailed animals, but I only use open sights in those situations so I can see where the dogs are.