Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Scope Recommendation

Scope Recommendation

So my brother just hit me up about recommending him a new scope for his .270. Current scope is a Leupold VX1 3-9x40 - nothing wrong with it except that he invariably carries it set on 9x and would like a bit more magnification at the top end. Here's what he's looking for:
    • 12x or greater magnification at the top end,
    • Doesn't need to go below 4x on the lower end - he'll never use it anyway,
    • 1" tube if possible - he's got a nice set of steel rings and bridge mount he'd like to reuse
    • Probably not parallax adjustable. He doesn't target shoot other than sighting in, and maximum range he'll shoot to would be ~350m. Having a side-focus scope is going to cost him depth of focus compared to a fixed parallax option and the amount of parallax at those ranges is not going to be an issue.
    • Objective up to 50mm
    • Budget up to $2k (if required).

The above is a bit different from my preferences, I'm a fan of light scopes mounted low for that kind of work (I find the Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 on my rifle about perfect and I generally carry it at 4x). But that's neither here nor there.

Off the top of my head I've recommended he have a look at a Meopta Meopro 4-12x50, and a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50. I'm steering him away from Swaro Z3's due to the reports of erector durability issues, and from the VX3i 4.5-14 because although I have one and like it, I don't see that he needs to put up with the somewhat variable eye relief when changing magnification if he's happy to carry more weight and size than the Leupold option.

So, what other choices haven't I thought of yet?

There are countless options in that price category with little criteria. Probably needs to have a think about other features he is wanting. Reticle type. Exposed or capped turrets. Probably want to be dialling with a 270 at max distance unless (350m) Has. Reticle he familiar with.
    At the price and mag range stated I'd definitely go with a high quality Euro glass. Swaro, Kahles, S + B or Zeiss.

https://www.deadeyedicks.co.nz/produ...-x-50mm-lm-a7/

This one could fit the bill apart from the paralax.

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 is good value for money. I got the CDS version and the CDS dial showed up the other day.

It dials up to 600 yards on the 284-08 which is plenty.

I've also had a VX2 4-12 which was good as well
    Micky Duck and LBD like this.

Fulla
    You will see the usual replies that pop up on threads like this, so here is mine.... Sightron, great value for money. Something like s3 6-24. Stac are good too, but stop at 20 power.
    NZ_noddy likes this.

Buy a vx5 and some new rings
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I would also go VX5 I like mine better than my Z5 I had.
    Rings are cheap

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    superdiver likes this.

Some good thoughts, thanks guys. To answer a few points raised:
    Capped turrets, not going to be dialing.
    Probably simple duplex reticle. Basic holdover type like leupold B&C also a possibility as long as not cluttered. Illumination maybe, but that would definitely require 30mm tube as far as I know.
    I know including 30mm tubes gives a whole world of options and he's not ruling it out - but unless he's missing out on a particularly great scope with this limitation it's another $200 he doesn't have to spend.
    Kahles, S&B, Zeiss (excluding Terra), Sightron options all seem to be 30mm tube.
    VX5 is parallax adjustable as well as 30mm tube - for those who have one do you manage to hunt with one set parallax setting or are you adjusting before every shot? How do you find the reduced focus depth vs a fixed parallax scope in practical use?

2-10 vx5. You can get it with a capped turret (i dont see why you would as its not like its a huge big turret anyhow and with Zero Lock theres no chance of it moving once zeroed) no parallax and beautiful to look through. Can get it with a duplex reticle or a holdover reticle. I recently got one and its an awesome wee scope.
    On my bigger vx5 (3-15) I just roam round with it set on lowest mag and parallax set at 50 in case something pops out but other than that you always have time to adjust mag and parallax for a shot anyhow
    7mmsaum likes this.
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    2-10 vx5. You can get it with a capped turret (i dont see why you would as its not like its a huge big turret anyhow and with Zero Lock theres no chance of it moving once zeroed) no parallax and beautiful to look through. Can get it with a duplex reticle or a holdover reticle. I recently got one and its an awesome wee scope.
    On my bigger vx5 (3-15) I just roam round with it set on lowest mag and parallax set at 50 in case something pops out but other than that you always have time to adjust mag and parallax for a shot anyhow
    3-15x is a great mag range that covers basically all hunting scenarios IMHO.
    6x47, Moa Hunter and superdiver like this.

What rings is he running?. If I'm spending up to 2k on a scope I'd sure as hell make sure they're sitting In quality rings. Just a thought.

Vx5 with that budget has gotta be best bang for buck.

But yeah he could perhaps get 'better' glass with less scope features in some Euro offerings.

Not that it's probably hugely noticeable.

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

Buy @Dreamers Zeiss - job done
    superdiver likes this.

@25/08IMP you rate the vx5 over the z5??

Fulla
    I'm pretty sure sightron have 1 inch tube, or they did because I owned one. But I think they stopped that model, but would guess other models still have 1 inch.
    It's all up to you, but if your not dialing I would think you could get a nice scope for half that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Have had a few of both, still got the VX5s...
    7mmsaum and 25/08IMP like this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Yip I had 2 x Z5 now I have 3 x Vx5 and no z5, as a do all scope they are great no biggie if you don't adjust paralex until at longer range.
    I'm are all in Talley rings $100 per set solid as.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    superdiver likes this.