Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Scope recommendations

Scope recommendations

I'm looking for a scope around the $1000 give or take.Looking at getting into dialing so exposed locking turrents or at least a zero stop would be the go and around that 3-15 magnification.Im current looking at
    Vortex Viper hslr 3 4 -16x50
    Burris signature 3-15 x44
    Leupold vx3 4.5-14x40
    Are these scopes worth the money or are they better brands out .Any advise on these scopes would be very much appreciated

Got a brand new viper HST 6-24 milrad that I need to sell. Never been mounted. It came out of the box to check its all there and thats it.
    like this
    https://broncos.co.nz/optics-and-sig...x50-vmr-1-mrad
    normally $1295 from grey importers. Its a NZ official imported scope .
    $900 Need to pay for new toys.

Keep your eye out for Zeiss HD5 3-15x42
    Gibo and superdiver like this.

@Haydenp

What cartridge will this scope be used with, and what are you planning to shoot with it? Any idea what kind of range you're likely to be shooting?

Helps make a better recommendation.
    Puffin and ebf like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    @Haydenp

What cartridge will this scope be used with, and what are you planning to shoot with it? Any idea what kind of range you're likely to be shooting?

Helps make a better recommendation.
    Planning on going a 270 max range would probably be 600 on a target wouldn't push a 270 past 500 on a animal
    Last edited by Haydenp; 08-07-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Burris signature 3-15 x44 hand down value for money and quality lots of reviews comparing to higher range scopes, takes the saved money and upgrade another bit of kit in need of a refresh
    superdiver likes this.

The aforementioned Zeiss HD5 with ballistic turret, or the Sightron 4-20x50 is a good pick mate. I can’t speak for the Burris because I haven’t owned one, but they are getting good reviews.

What I can say about the Sightron is the Exactrac mechanism is absolutely spot on and is dialling perfectly - Sightron is highly rated for this feature.

What you have to work out is the amount of longer range dialling vs traditional low light stalking you’re likely to be doing. If you end up with a tacticool scope for 600m, with tall ballistic turrets but probably “average” glass at that price point, but you end up actually shooting most of your deer at <100m at deer o’ clock, you bought the wrong scope.
    10-Ring, kiwi303 and caberslash like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    The aforementioned Zeiss HD5 with ballistic turret, or the Sightron 4-20x50 is a good pick mate. I can’t speak for the Burris because I haven’t owned one, but they are getting good reviews.

What I can say about the Sightron is the Exactrac mechanism is absolutely spot on and is dialling perfectly - Sightron is highly rated for this feature.

What you have to work out is the amount of longer range dialling vs traditional low light stalking you’re likely to be doing. If you end up with a tacticool scope for 600m, with tall ballistic turrets but probably “average” glass at that price point, but you end up actually shooting most of your deer at <100m at deer o’ clock, you bought the wrong scope.
    Definitely have to do some research on sightron never really looked at them before.And yeah definitely have to have think about hos much I want to get into the dialing game.

if you are shooting a 270 to 500m on animals there isn't much need to dial that i see unless you just want to, 2 inch high at 100 is good to 300 ish then use the reticle out to 500 when needed

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    if you are shooting a 270 to 500m on animals there isn't much need to dial that i see unless you just want to, 2 inch high at 100 is good to 300 ish then use the reticle out to 500 when needed
    I disagree. Shooting an animal at 500m is extreme. I expect flyblown could do it with a burris ( ive seen excellent 300m shooting with one) but the average shooter like me will need more like a $2000 -$4000 scope (VX5 3-15 at least) and wear out a barrel practicing on target before competency. Try for 300m first and follow the advice given here about brands. Ive got a vx3i and the turrt can turn a bit while being carried so id recommend a zero lock if you get one of them.

shooting 500 isn't extreme at all and wearing out a barrel practicing come on just practice at the ranges you wish to shoot often, know your ballistics and fps get a shooting
    app that works well, decent rangefinder and you dont need a 4000$ scope at all sure it will be better but getting into it plenty of good scopes that will shoot to 600 and dial
    accurately and repeatedly. Plenty of guys get all the gear and have no skill shooting and you see some of that on tv and you tube channels you can tell the skilled(practiced)
    from the unskilled but you see some piss poor long range hits on animals. I think a south island 500m might be different to a waikato 500m lots of good big valleys to shoot
    across when you cant stalk any closer and the weather is easy to read when you've been in the hills long enough in my experience anyway when its good its good when its
    bad its bad not usually much in-between .

But its just practice and having the right gear to start off with will pay dividends when you start shooting long range, everyone watches rogee on YouTube and thinks they
    can get a wsm and shoot long range just as well as him with only sighting in at a 100m range and not practicing at distance. i usually head north an hour to a valley set up
    targets at 1 - 500m at different elevations and go for gold im lucky that i can do that as a south island north canty high country is 20 minutes away

my next scope will be a Burris 3-15x44 and once i work out a good all-round load for it will use some custom turret stickers basically giving the same use as a 3k scopes cds turrets
    https://customturretsystems.com/
    Last edited by Carbine; 09-07-2021 at 12:18 AM.

https://shop.theopticzone.com/rifle-...lescope-26012/

You could land one of these well under budget. Not the lightest going, it built like a tank and great tracking. Sightron has to be best value in this range by a long shot, especially if you bring in direct.

shooting 500 isn't extreme at all and wearing out a barrel practicing come on just practice at the ranges you wish to shoot often, know your ballistics and fps get a shooting
    app that works well, decent rangefinder and you dont need a 4000$ scope at all sure it will be better but getting into it plenty of good scopes that will shoot to 600 and dial
    accurately and repeatedly. Plenty of guys get all the gear and have no skill shooting and you see some of that on tv and you tube channels you can tell the skilled(practiced)
    from the unskilled but you see some piss poor long range hits on animals. I think a south island 500m might be different to a waikato 500m lots of good big valleys to shoot
    across when you cant stalk any closer and the weather is easy to read when you've been in the hills long enough in my experience anyway when its good its good when its

But its just practice and having the right gear to start off with will pay dividends when you start shooting long range, everyone watches rogee on YouTube and thinks they
    can get a wsm and shoot long range just as well as him with only sighting in at a 100m range and not practicing at distance. i usually head north an hour to a valley set up
    targets at 1 - 500m at different elevations and go for gold im lucky that i can do that as a south island north canty high country is 20 minutes away

my next scope will be a Burris 3-15x44 and once i work out a good all-round load for it will use some custom turret stickers basically giving the same use as a 3k scopes cds turrets
    Funny that you reckon 500m isn't extreme.
    To get your shot placement in the clean kill zone you have to really be on your game as far as correct elevations and wind call.
    I would doubt that there are many people on here are competent enough to hit a 150mm plate consistently at 500m even with only a slight wind.
    I have seen alot of very self confident shooters come unstuck at ranges closer than that.
    I feel the same about head shooting as unless your are on your game it's a no go.
    Amazing how many people talk about how many deer they have head shot but never talk about shot of jaws and then wondering of into the scrub and die a long painful death.
    I would like to think any hunter that had done this once would then refrain from this and ethically place their shots from then on.
    I have learnt the hard way.
    Just saying

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Had a look on 55six and they are selling the Burris 3-15x44 for $850 pretty good deal if u ask me
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/55six.c...-plex-reticle/
    Carbine likes this.

I live in southland its mostly close 100m-150m or having a A opportunity for a longer range shot around 300m upwards.Im currently shooting a 243 that does the close stuff good just wanting a rifle where if I see the dream stag I like the one I fucked up this year I can have a Crack at him.