Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Scope recommendations for 7mm-08

Scope recommendations for 7mm-08

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new scope to put on a Howa 7mm-08 around the $1000 mark. I currently have a ranger 3-9x42 but it's proving difficult to get a good shot at 100yrds or more. I had someone with some experience do some shots with me and suggested that the scope may be a bit of a clanger. I'm happy to replace it with something better and was looking for some recommendations.

Happy to stick with 3-9 or maybe stretch to to 4-12

Many thanks
    Ash

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I quite like using my Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 on my 7mm08. Seems pretty well matched.
    keneff likes this.

Leupold VX 3 3.5-10 with a CDS turret would be my pick of new scopes. Otherwise keep your eye out for a good secondhand deal.
    L.T and dannyb like this.

GWH
    This would have been ideal https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....3-15x42-43013/

I have run one of these for a few years now, and they perform very well.

There’s a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 on Tardme that’s worth a look at $800. A good quality 3-9x40 will also be fine for 7mm08.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Leupold VX 3 3.5-10 with a CDS turret would be my pick of new scopes. Otherwise keep your eye out for a good secondhand deal.
    Out of all mentioned this would be my pick. Or a little Z3. Nice clear and light as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spudattack and Gibo like this.
    Dan M

Banned
    If not looking for a dialing scope, the likes of bushnell elite and burris fullfield are pretty good for around 450.
    Steve123 and ChrisW like this.

aetchell
    Would be a good for you to decide on the specs first, otherwise you can end up going around in circles chasing your tail and risking buying something you actually realise later is not what you needed. 3-9x can be quite limiting on a 7mm.

The type of hunting you expect to do should drive the decision. The 7mm-08 is very versatile so you have lots of options from close in woods shooting to some open country medium-range stuff. My regular open country do it all rifle is a Howa in 243 and on that I run a 4-16x44. I would not be able to accept a maximum of 9x mag on that rifle it’s just not enough

So yeah have a think about what you want to do with this rifle and go from there. 3-12x, 4-16x, those mag ranges would make very good use of the 7mm-08 ballistics.

or if you're largely a bush hobbit and value compact/ light weight, a VX3 2.5-8 x 36 is a good choice. The Z3 Swaro as someone said is also a good choice.

The former on my 7-08 Bushpig is no probs on deer up to 350yds.
    Micky Duck likes this.

That's for all the advice so far everyone.

Anyone had any experiences with Ranger scopes? They are pretty cheap but as a newbie I don't quite understand what then problems are with cheap scopes. Glass quality, shock and weather proof etc. Can the reticle slightly shift after each hit if it's not capable of absorbing the recoil shock. This is what seems to be happening with mine. I'm not the greatest shot but the placement is too wild. An experienced shooter also had the same result.

Banned
    If bush hobbiting I would get a cheapish (500) compact scope and chop to17-18 inches with a suppressor.
    Put your scope bases on with blue loctite on the screws. Some put a smear of bedding compound under as well.
    Get some shooting bags for bench rest shooting.
    I found Nathan Fosters info on shooting helpful as well as an American NRA shooters digest book.
    Shoot 200 rounds over the next few months and then tell us about your sub MOA howa
    Steve123 and Micky Duck like this.

ebf
    @aetchell, what are you planning on using the rifle for ? different answers to your scope question for hunting and gong shooting for instance.

old rule of thumb is to spend at least what you spend on the rifle on your scope. VX3i 3.5-10 CDS + Windplex is a good lightweight option.
    Last edited by ebf; 26-06-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    Spudattack likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @aetchell, what are you planning on using the rifle for ? different answers to your scope question for hunting and gong shooting for instance.

old rule of thump is to spend as least what you spend on the rifle on your scope. VX3i 3.5-10 CDS + Windplex is a good lightweight option.
    It's for recreational hunting, pig, goat (for the dog) and hopefully one day deer. I don't plan on shooting at long range for a long time as I need to get some experience etc

It will be a mix of bush hunting, open scrub. Jack of all trades, master if none. My main concern is getting the rifle accurate.

I recomend a vx5 2-10x42 cds for your needs, it will do all you'll ever need and last a lifetime

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I recomend a vx5 2-10x42 cds for your needs, it will do all you'll ever need and last a lifetime

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I second this. Slightly over your budget but one of the best value hunting scopes out there. Quality glass, good warrantee, and awesome turret system.

Taihape sports is the place to buy.

This or a z3 swaro.