Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The bomb

Thread: Scope rings

Scope rings

Hey team,

I have a winchester m70 223, bloody beautiful rifle. Question is what rings should I go with? The current rings, unknown brand they came with the rifle. The current rings don't offer enough eye relief, the scope is moved as much as it can. What options do you recommend?

Cheers bevan

Talleys
    Bill999 likes this.

MSL
    Scope can’t go far enough forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picture please

If its anything like my early 90s 243 lightweight then I am I a similar position. The loopy 4x is a tiny bit short in the tube to come back far enough. More the scope as they do 3 different lengths for the M8

On the guess that you're wanting the scope back more but the front ring is hard up against the objective bell - and assuming you don't want a rail - I'll vote for leupold dual dovetail rvf (reversible front) bases. With standard leupold dovetail rings it'll bring the front ring back a bit, or use in conjunction with a leupold extension ring to bring the front ring back a lot. I haven't tried the extension rings, but the standard dual dovetail setup is good.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    On the guess that you're wanting the scope back more but the front ring is hard up against the objective bell - and assuming you don't want a rail - I'll vote for leupold dual dovetail rvf (reversible front) bases. With standard leupold dovetail rings it'll bring the front ring back a bit, or use in conjunction with a leupold extension ring to bring the front ring back a lot. I haven't tried the extension rings, but the standard dual dovetail setup is good.
    Yeh I can move it back anymore, I'm definitely not apposed to putting a rail on there then rings, I might take it in to hamills to see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    If its anything like my early 90s 243 lightweight then I am I a similar position. The loopy 4x is a tiny bit short in the tube to come back far enough. More the scope as they do 3 different lengths for the M8
    Bang on the money mate, it doesn't need to move much, just abit annoying