Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Scope swap options for the rem mag

Scope swap options for the rem mag

Similar to @WildBrad i’m considering options to swap the vx5 on my rem mag. I love everything about that scope except the thickness of the windplex reticle. My favourite hunting reticle so far has been the 4w on my Swaro Z5 but I would rather have something different to keep life interesting.

This is my 21” barrel suppressed rem mag with primary purpose being all round hunting short and far (shots so far with vx5 have ranged from 20 - 800 yards on game and 1000 on targets). I shoot the odd gong with it but hunting is it’s sole purpose, especially in this ammo shortage.

The Zeiss V4 4-16x44 with ZMOA-2 reticle has got my attention and the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 looks good too. I don’t have bugger all to spend so looking in the same price bracket as the vx5 to enable a swap type situation.

Send me your thoughts/options, cheers.

Caretaker
    Vx5 with normal duplex reticle
    outdoorlad, Tui4Me, BRADS and 3 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Dylan cant help you with the Zeiss, but would advise against the Vortex. A few mates who own them all had to send them back for repair or replace at some stage, ranging from bottom to top end vortex scopes. Local sports shop won't stock them due to poor rep. FWIW.
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Vx5 with normal duplex reticle
    Have strongly considered this. I do like a reticle with moa type increments in certain situations though. Hmm

Banned
    @Sarvo has a 2.5-15x50 or 56 Delta. Now for the reticle, one option is the 2D. This is a fantastic ret IMO side by side with my Z5 the 2D is better than the 4W, faster on target as the two dots centralise the eye much faster than the 4W and is better in last light. It is also illuminated
    tikka, Woody and stagstalker like this.

Stag Stalker,
    You don't hear much about the Zeiss 4-16x44 ASV but they would appear to be a good deal. I keep looking myself.
    New pricing here is between 1300 and 1400 Aud here so you should be able to go new if you wanted to.
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    @Sarvo has a 2.5-15x50 or 56 Delta. Now for the reticle, one option is the 2D. This is a fantastic ret IMO side by side with my Z5 the 2D is better than the 4W, faster on target as the two dots centralise the eye much faster than the 4W and is better in last light. It is also illuminated
    What’s the calibration of the dots and at what power?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    What’s the calibration of the dots and at what power?
    Dont know calibration, but comparing the 2D on a 1.5 - 9 with my Z5 4w the 2D was a more brain intuitive reticle if that makes sense. Compared side by side on my farm deer, both on the same stock we set up for holding scopes as a dummy rifle. The 2D is not busy. John bought it so I cant easily check calibration.

Is the Delta an exposed turret or does it have a cap that needs to be taken off to dial?

There are choices within and between certain models; the 4-24*50 hd titanium in particular.
    stagstalker likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I love my V4 with ZMOA 2, 4-16x44. If you where in the SI you would be welcome to look through it and shoot with it. Dials consistently, nice and crisp glass and x hairs aree nice. Not too thick and not too thin. I was looking at the vx5 when I got this but Zeiss won with reticle selection. VX5 are very limited in my opinion in that regard.
    stagstalker likes this.

Have a play with a first focal plane scope.

With your style of hunting and shooting first focal plane would be perfect. If the reticles too thick just wind back the magnification.

You will have the added bonus of being able do wind holds with your reticle.

Worth a look anyway.
    keengunNic and Moa Hunter like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Is the Delta an exposed turret or does it have a cap that needs to be taken off to dial?
    I heard a whisper that Woody may have one coming to his mailbox. Hopefully he might post a report ??, I have not seen a 2.5 - 15 myself yet. The capped turrets on the 1.5-9 are very good but there is a Turret kit for non turret scopes.

Yes. Also thefe was a report by Tahr on his 4-24,50 hd so.e time back.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

The Delta 4-24x50 with the option of interchangeable turrets looks interesting. Can’t say the reticle options have me sold though and not sure if the turret allows multiple revolutions? Also, does it have a zero stop?