Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Scope - Swaro, Leupold

Scope - Swaro, Leupold

On my Tikka .284 I currently have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x38 which I have a CDS turret on.

This has served me well but I feel I need a bit more magnification at the longer ranges so I'm looking at either a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 or VX6 3.5-18x44 or try something different to the Leupolds which I've traditionally owned and buy a Swarovski Z3

Ironically I used to live just up the road from Swarovski in Austria

Two things concern me with getting the bigger scopes like a the VX6 will be the added weight of 200 grams and the concern with the Z3 will be the 50 mm objective.

Keen to know what peoples experiences have been with the various scopes mentioned as I'm at a cross road as to what to get.

If your looking at Vx6 kind of money and looking for smaller than a z3 50mm a very good option is the Z5 3.5-18x44. Can be had for approx 2k or sometimes less off here. Great scope, pretty light weight (lighter than a vx6) and have a dial ontop
    jakewire, Bryan and mattstr like this.

I have a 4.5-14x40 vx3 sitting here not being used.....if you want to try it and see what you think..... get in touch. its one of the older models with focus on frony bell....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

VX3 4.5-14 has a poor FOV even on it's lowest magnification compared to the others you mentioned. Something to consider if this is an "all-round" scope. VX5 in the mix too? Fire Dot?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    VX3 4.5-14 has a poor FOV even on it's lowest magnification compared to the others you mentioned. Something to consider if this is an "all-round" scope. VX5 in the mix too? Fire Dot?
    and that is why mine is sitting spare......bush hobbit at heart and up close,not so much to my liking.
    BSA270 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    The other issue with the vx3 and in particular the 4.5-14 is its got rather poor light gathering properties and can be quite dull in poor light in my experience. But in good light out to moderate ranges they are light for what they are but I reckon the swaro are better in low light.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

VX6 is a huge jump up over the VX3. I would keep it simple and go a good old VX5 3-15x44 or Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44.

A Swaro Z3 would probably fit the bill nicely too.

I’ve got a vx6 2-12 on my rifle. Dials really well, nice to look through. Would like to have a fine duplex rather than the standard.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

I’d also suggest a VX5 in 3-15x44 and save some money compared to a VX6.
    Same glass and build quality.
    They’re a great hunting scope for the money and will do everything from up close in the bush to long range shooting.
    The windplex reticle is great if you want to stretch your distances and shoot a few gongs too.

IMO 4.5 is too high for lowest magnification if you ever want to use it in the bush. As Stagstalker said, a 3 - 15 would be better.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Swarvo 3.5-18x44 with after market dial. 16 oz

Im not gentle on my stuff and my one gets a lot of dialling and returns to zero and tracks well. Best 'scope Ive had.

Wilsons Hunting and Outdoors - Swarovski
    mattstr, Shearer and BSA270 like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I’ve got a vx6 2-12 on my rifle. Dials really well, nice to look through. Would like to have a fine duplex rather than the standard.
    I wish Leupold would offer the fine duplex again. I've got an older VX6, the non HD job, with a fine cross hair and prefer it to my VX5 with a standard duplex. I find its just to thick.
    chainsaw likes this.

Run a Z3 4-12x50 on my short bbl 284 and a VX6 3-18x44 on my 22in bbl 284. Can’t fault either but prefer the optics on Z3. Has custom 2turn moa turret and 4W reticle. Weight saving also goes to the Z3
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks for the replies... I'll have to look more into the swarovski.