Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Scope warranty servicing

Scope warranty servicing

G'day everyone.

I sent in my scope to the dealer to get a warranty service done on it as I was out in the bush and found a black mark on the internals of the glass which I figured was a paint fleck. I cleaned the lenses and it was definitely internal. Also a smaller second mark, but the attached photos show the big one. It disappeared after firing a shot but the smaller one stayed and once you see something you can't unsee it as the saying goes so there was this small black blur hanging around the mildots that was distracting.

Question is, how long should a service like this take? I dropped it off mid January and I've had to follow up twice now with still no scope as the roar approaches. I was told 4 weeks but its coming up 8 weeks now... I've got a bush rifle with a Vortex on it but I'm loathe to swap scopes onto my 308 from my x39.

Cheers, Matt

Name:  20170113_102754.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  361.4 KBName:  20170113_102507 (1).jpg
Views: 781
Size:  363.5 KB

If it's defective, then under the CGA don't they have to repair, replace, or refund in a reasonable time? If they take too long to repair it, and can't replace it, then you are due a refund. The fact that they specified 4 weeks, and have taken 8, would indicate that they have taken too long - by their own admission. 4 weeks was a time period that they came up with, so they've kinda screwed themselves really. Time to front with cash if a suitable replacement isn't readily available. And by 'suitably', it would have to be something acceptable to YOU, not them. So unless it's exactly what you paid for ( A sightron blah blah with blah blah reticle etc), then they can't just palm you off with something with similar RRP either.

Example: Motorbike shop punished for sluggish repair - Business - NZ Herald News
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

if it is a leupold you will be waiting a while yet. after sale service is rubish

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    if it is a leupold you will be waiting a while yet. after sale service is rubish
    Dis agree. My lupy was returned within 10 days fully repaired, no cost to me whatsoever
    Kiwi Greg, madjon_ and rossi.45 like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Ejected
    My leupold took six months, repeated nagging and then they tried to charge me $110 for the repair. You are best to send it straight to people in the states.
    bigbear likes this.

yep been waiting since december for my young fellas binos to be repaired.

With Leupold it depends on if you sent it back to retailer to rectify (who forwards onto NZ Asia who are the NZ importer). If you did, the wait could be up to 6 months. NZ Asia are hopeless, as they wait ages before even sending your scope back to the US (seem to wait until they have a few before sending a group over). It will be fixed properly, just a slow process.

Better to send back to Leupold direct. The warranty is worldwide and I have found that the direct service from them is generally very good.
    Philipo, MassiveAttack and tetawa like this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

All the posted expected repair times and previous experiences are irrelevant. What is relevant is what Tommy has said – the dealer whom I assume the purchase was made from and to whom the scope has been returned to under warranty has quoted a 4 week turn around. That is what the OP needs to confront the dealer with. And yes, 4 weeks is a bit optimistic but that is what the dealer has quoted. The dealer now needs to make good by whatever means or confirm a new realistic turnaround, if the OP is happy with that, or press the point for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Dis agree. My lupy was returned within 10 days fully repaired, no cost to me whatsoever
    I take it that you had the work done in Aussie ? Mine took exactly the same time

Cheers for the input fellas. This is a sightron so it's through the NZ distributor down the road from home. I'll follow up this week with them but last time all I got was "we haven't got it back yet, we'll call you". I get that it might take longer but customer service and making a phone call is quite easy I would think.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Cheers for the input fellas. This is a sightron so it's through the NZ distributor down the road from home. I'll follow up this week with them but last time all I got was "we haven't got it back yet, we'll call you". I get that it might take longer but customer service and making a phone call is quite easy I would think.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Sent a Sigtron back to the States (bought direct pre DED having the agency). Was away ~7 weeks. After 5 weeks they emailed me a report plus a picture of the test target that they had shot with the scope. I was reasonably impressed that they had bothered mounting it up on a 308 for a test target. They obviously didn't have a shaker machine at that stage like for eg Swaro have.
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    I take it that you had the work done in Aussie ? Mine took exactly the same time
    No. I posted it direct to USA.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yeah it pisses ya off alright, eg after having a good run with my scopes I've had two that had to go back recently

One was a Leupold, sent through NZ Asia ( not a very old scope ) went to Aussie came back good as new but took 3 months & the cheeky cunts charged me $55

The other is a Swarvo ( this scope was also basically brand new ) I ended up selling it to a forum member & then we discovered that it had a very rare parallax problem, so off it went to the NZ agent then off to Europe to be fixed, 3 weeks they say. Well fuk me it's been over 3 months. Has put me off Swarovski a bit as it should of never got through their quality control and been sold, plus they should of just replaced it asap. Poor old Tom is still waiting for the scope to come back & the roars about to start, Just fucks me off to be honest
    kiwijames and deer243 like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

End of the day i hear what people are saying but when it comes to sending things back , esp overseas for repair/replacement etc but i doubt you going to expect it to get back to you in 3-4 weeks no matter what they say.
    Its possible, but you hear it quite often that it took weeks and weeks, its just life with this sort of stuff. Agents sometimes delay sending stuff back until they get a couple etc. Customs hold things up etc and some companys are just plain slack or too busy to do things super quick at times .
    Clearly its interesting with scopes with who has the best warranty and service. For years so many swear by leupold as the best, but the end of the day i doubt that is longer the case. All the top brands have slow service and problems , including leupold . All top brands have great and quick service as well, its the luck of the draw.
    Leupold is lacking behind with their warranty as i see it. They fix any faulty product no problem and tend to do well it that department but thats it. Burris will not only fix faulty products but take care of it if you damaged it, same as bushnell . You bust it, its covered.Vortex is the same, no matter what happened to the scope, they fix or replace it.

Had a variety of scopes repaired: Leupold, Swarovski, Zeiss, Weaver, Redfield, Bushnell. Got the brush off from Weaver and Redfield who refused to do anything at all. Bushnell didn't repair, but replaced the scope but it took a couple of months. Leupold repaired it immediately (took 2 weeks there and back to the USA and charge was $10). Swarovski very expensive and took months. Zeiss eye wateringly expensive and complicated process and took months (like about 5 months). So, my experience is that Leupold is still the repair champ (I've got a Vortex but nothing has gone wrong with it, yet).