Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Scope Wrap under Rings?

I've finally decided to use a self-adhesive elastic tape/wrap on all my scopes to protect them from bumps/scratches etc.

Can I tape the whole tube so that one layer of wrap is also between rings and tube...or should I leave that area unwrapped so the rings torque down directly onto the scope tube?

I've never wrapped a scope before and was thinking if I have the scope wrap under the rings wouldn't it protect it from scope ring marks?
    Or would it mess with the tight CNC clearances and possibly result in scope slippage under recoil?
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Its pretty common to put a little bit of tape on the inside of the ring when mounting scope. Often rings will even include a couple little bits of tape in the package.
    I think itd be ok to tape it up as long as the tape isnt overlapping the previous wrap where the rings are, making it not flat...if that makes sense.

@ChrisW thanks for that.
    Yeah, it looks like it must be all ok as no one else has given any warning against doing it. But then most would put on tape after setting up the scope in the rings I suspect.

It might even provide a little more grip (?) while protecting the scope tube from getting scratched up.... so I'll give it a go.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

I always use a piece of tape (sellotape or some other thin tape) inside the rings (if they are the non-insert type) to stop the scope getting damaged and to stop the scope slipping in the rings.

So e cheaper rings come with tape inside them but in the end ive always had to remove it with acetone due to imagined zero change problems. Expensive rings like burris and optilock have their own inserts but i expect they are purpose designed.