Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By matthewhall2912
  • 1 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By Gkp
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Synthetic
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: scope zoom range for 7mmremmag

scope zoom range for 7mmremmag

hey all I recently put a deposit on a bergara b14 in 7mm rem mag and it comes with a vx3 3.5-10 scope and some mates have said that further down the line I should get a scope with larger zoom range like a 4-14 or higher.
    so the question is what does everyone think and what would be the best zoom range for a 7mm rem mag

how far are you intending to shoot how small of object???? 9-10x will get you to 5-600yards on deer with ease......heck 9x and my old eyes makes 400 not hard and Ive now gone down to fixed 3x and 300 is still easily doable....

Gone but not forgotten
    A 3-15 VX5 would be nice, but it is a lot more money (very roughly double the VX3). Use the 3.5-10 and see how often you actually use 10x, and when you do, think whether the target being 50-100% bigger would make a difference.
    If it's your only rifle, you want to avoid going above 4x at the bottom end or you will have trouble at short ranges.
    Micky Duck likes this.

yea sadly im in highschool so id be working for quite a longtime before i can buy a vx5. and i agree that you dont want to go past 4 especially in the north island where i am due to the large amounts of bush hunting but i still want a scope that i can use in the big open south island country hunting im going to do with family.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I think it's really down to your eyesight, the clarity of the glass, how far you shoot, and how big you need the target blown up to, to feel like you're making a precise enough shot at that distance... more than it matters what cartridge it is.

It's subjective enough that it would be well worth you having a look through a few different scopes, rather than getting people to tell you what it is you need.
    Bagheera likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Gkp
    The 10x will get you out to 500 yards mate. Most of the animals I shoot are under 450 so you should be all good
    Micky Duck likes this.

I had a V3 4.5-14x40 on my 7 rem mag, it was great. I went with the fine crosshair. A 3-10 will be fine while you are learning to use it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I would have been very happy if I could afford a VX3 back in high school lol. 10x should be plenty for 400m shots no worries.
    Micky Duck and Gkp like this.

your in hastings......plenty of goats up in your end of the country,well there are not too far away....a nanny goat is similar size to a chammy,and a big billy goat isnt that much smaller than a nanny thar or younger bull......
    there are oodles of silly white things that make baa baa noises too...you dont shoot those ones BUT you can work out how far away they are and have a squiz through your optics and you will see that what you already have is going to be more than good enough....
    a good set of 10x binoculars is far more important for a south island tops trip than high end magnification on rifle scope.not all bull thar are shot at 700 yards....in fact some of us have shot them at well under a hundy....more than once too.
    Gkp and Synthetic like this.