Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Scopes

Scopes

Hi guys been looking at scopes online I see quite a few vortex on TM I don't no much about them would the likes of this one be much chop for a 30 06 the zoom looks about rite though I do like 3 power in the bush
    https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/1167780387

Was looking to spend $450-500 ish Iv had a couple of leupolds currently got a 3-7 that's still good after 20 years of use & a 3-9 vx1 that I just recently brought but thought I'd try something different ...whats everyone else using in this price range ?
    Cheers.

Ejected
    Leupold VX3i is a good deal these days.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

I was told the vortex are not great in low light but i cant confirm it ive never had one.

Banned
    You will get a half decent scope in 3-9 for that. Bushnell elite, vortex diamondback, sightron s1 or another vx1. I have the bushy which I am happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    I was told the vortex are not great in low light but i cant confirm it ive never had one.
    Yes you do see this a bit but its never qualified with a model. the " vortex wasnt as good as the Leopold" Well a $200 crossfire is never going to be as good as a much higher priced VX3 . Along with " I looked through a mates one" or I looked through one at the gun shop" throw in peoples personal bias and its all completely useless information.
    mikee, Huk and WallyR like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Ive had a viper, id stickbwith leupold mate.
    blake likes this.

The VX3 is an absolute champion of a scope, best value for money out there in its price range.

For what its worth, I really like my viper. I compared it side by side with a vx3 when I bought it and my particular one looked just as sharp, had good contrast and looked every bit as bright peering into dark corners of the shop. The vortex had a way less fussy eye box, a (slightly) better mag range and was almost $400 cheaper. All that said the vx3 is lighter and still seemed like a very nice scope.
    Maybe I got a good one though so YMMV

Got 4 Viper PST's very happy with them. Just got a new Leupold arrive yesterday, heading out shortly to do some sighting in...

Ejected
    Leupold also have the best scope cap system with the metal screw on caps that fold back flat. That and the best warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Leupold also have the best scope cap system with the metal screw on caps that fold back flat. That and the best warranty.
    Iv had the alumina flip ups, but I think the vortex defender are better, far more robust, better priced with 3 positions ,closed, upright or lay flat. and they now offer a clip in dope disk system for the ocular Not as flash looking as the alumina though
    The leupold warranty was the gold standard but In my experience Vortex have taken that crown.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Iv had the alumina flip ups, but I think the vortex defender are better, far more robust, better priced with 3 positions ,closed, upright or lay flat. and they now offer a clip in dope disk system for the ocular Not as flash looking as the alumina though
    The leupold warranty was the gold standard but In my experience Vortex have taken that crown.
    Good to know. No experience with the Vortex but I do know butler creeks are shit. Leupold warrenties go through the local monkeys (NZ Asia) and then to the new custom shop in Oz. Still waiting for mine, been a month now...

Maybe it has something to do with your attitude?
    mikee likes this.

Thanks for the info guys il look into whats been suggested .cheers

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with your attitude?
    All I know is years back when I went straight to the US customer service was top notch and fast. The forum's full of complaints about the speed of Leupold warranties handled . When I handed the scopes to H&F they warned me that they batch up all the scopes over a couple of months and then send them back and I would have to pay for the postage. Why would I have to pay for the postage if they send them back by the pallet load and the consumer guarantees act says the retailer handles all warranty claims. Happy to pay the shipping if it means I can send them direct back the Leupold USA but the nice american bloke said I had to go through the local monkeys.

So if you mean by attitude I expect them to honor the terms of the warranty then yes it's probably due to that.
    Last edited by MassiveAttack; 24-09-2016 at 04:33 PM.