Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Scout Industries SKS scope mount.

Nga

Scout Industries SKS scope mount.

Hi all, been away for a while but health is back on track so thought I'd post a short review on this awesome product.

So there are 1000s of SKS owners in NZ and finding a way to mount a scope on these rifles is a nightmare, well here is the answer, this slots directly into the rear site leaf sight slot and is rock solid with no need to modify the rifle, it's stupid simple to install and you can choose from two different rail lengths, I may end up bringing these in myself at some point, I have spoken to the guy who designed these and he is easy to deal with and helpful, couldnt speak highly enough about my dealing with him and the product. For info here's the link.
    SKS Scope Mount | Scout Industries, Inc

here's the info from the website.

Improved accuracy - free floating design-scope mount secured to gas block-does not touch receiver, dust cover, gas tube or barrel
    2 piece design - the scope mount base stays on the rifle & the scope stays mounted to the picatinny rail to be removed as one piece with no loss of zero
    CNC machined billet 6061 black anodized aircraft strength aluminum - no casting to crack or fail
    It is a traditional rear sight when not using optics - takes less than 10 seconds to remove optics
    No gunsmithing - No drilling or tapping - No permanent alterations

The ScoutScopes.com mounting kit is made by Scout Industries, Inc. in the USA since 2001. No gunsmithing required, do it yourself installation, and typically less than 30 minutes to be "range ready" (It helps to have a quick clamp or a spare hand when assembling). Simply remove the factory rear elevation sight, leaving the leaf spring in place, and install the scope mount base in its place; securing it to the gas block, which is the sturdiest element of the rifle. Buy a 2nd picatinny rail and outfit it with an extended eye relief scope and now your rifle can easily adapt to a different shooting situation with no loss of zero. No other scope mount system offers this type of flexibility! The scope base also has an aiming groove milled down the centerline, at the approximate heighth of the factory rear sight, to keep the rifle with "iron sights". You just need to adjust the factory front sight to get on target. With the scope base staying on the gas block, the rifle can be completely disassembled and reassembled with no loss of zero. The highest quality standards and materials are used to give you a lifetime of service and satisfaction. Your rifle can be returned to its original configuration because no drilling or tapping is required for installation and smooth point set screws are used. This upgrade makes a good rifle great and hopefully your new "go to rig". MANUFACTUER'S WARRANTY : This scope mount is covered by a limited lifetime warranty
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Roses are red
    Bacon is red
    Poems are hard
    Bacon.

Good bit of kit. I have one also. Great for slaying goats. Makes removing the gas tube for cleaning a bit more labour intensive - that's my only gripe.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Have brought in three of them so far, they're outstanding, especially for mountign a red dot or equivalent. @stretch, I had the same problem as you but then gave it to a mechanically minded mate who milled it down a bit and now the gas tube is just as easy to remove as before and the mount works like a dream.
    stretch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    ... gave it to a mechanically minded mate who milled it down a bit and now the gas tube is just as easy to remove as before and the mount works like a dream.
    Might just do that!

BC Tactical do a similar product - they look to be lower profile, but were out of stock when I got my Scout Scopes mount.
    http://www.bctactical.ca/products.html

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Good bit of kit. I have one also. Great for slaying goats. Makes removing the gas tube for cleaning a bit more labour intensive - that's my only gripe.

I said "fuck it" and got a mini thirty. scopes rocksolid and I have a spare SKS
    res likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Heading that way also.
    Steve123 likes this.

Nga
    Yea but there are those of us that like the SKS and I'm happy with it as a fun play gun and with super cheap ammo it's a no brainer, that and the rifles can be got for 300 dollars, the bushnell works ok but you do have to adjust your head positioning, I'm going to make a foam check rise for it to sort that issue out.
    Roses are red
    Bacon is red
    Poems are hard
    Bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nga View Post
    Yea but there are those of us that like the SKS and I'm happy with it as a fun play gun and with super cheap ammo it's a no brainer, that and the rifles can be got for 300 dollars, the bushnell works ok but you do have to adjust your head positioning, I'm going to make a foam check rise for it to sort that issue out.
    Yeah I like it too. I originally got it for the cheap ammo it eats. Then had a wasted attempt with a trade me receiver cover mount. Another wasted attempt with a gas tube mount, a fuck they're cheap on sale spare SKS, tried the trade me shite on that one too. Same result. Come to the conclusion an SKS just is not meant to have anything else than the original iron sights.

I have a set of tech sights I'm supposed to be putting on my SKK, but I'm to busying lying here on this beach.

What does a mini30 go for these days? I can't remember seeing one for sale for ages

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I have a set of tech sights I'm supposed to be putting on my SKK, but I'm to busying lying here on this beach.

What does a mini30 go for these days? I can't remember seeing one for sale for ages
    New ones are too much with how the exchange rate is at the moment. It's good coz the mounts are part of the receiver and the rings can't move once they're on. The new ones have a heavier barrel but are still only minute of meat. It's a nice compact unit but my one gripe is the LOP is a little short so I need to get a slip on pad for it.
    I've seen 2nd hand ones on tard me for round $1200.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

I sold a mini30 a year ago and got $630ish for it
    Using Tapatalk

@res

Hijack time, did you get my PM?
    Welcome to Sako club.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    @res

Hijack time, did you get my PM?
    Yes, sorry got distracted. I'll look the info up and get back to you
    Using Tapatalk