Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Seeking advice on best thermal scope please

Seeking advice on best thermal scope please

Already have a hand held and whilst not up with the top units is ok for me.
    Have an opportunity to shoot a lot of deer now and they only come out at night so would love some advice please

Pard
    Sideshow likes this.

Talk to Ken at NightvisionNZ - he sells some nifty units. He sold pard in the past but have now included some other brands too. He knows his stuff and will be able to give good advice too.

He's been trading as 55Six for yonks.
    Slug, BSA270 and 55six like this.

Yep another +1 for Prad they are really awesome. The one I’ve used you just attach it to the front of your scope.
    To sight in stick a five cent peace to a board and heat it then get back to 100yards and crack on.
    I can see moths flying around at 80 odd yards that’s how good it was. Fallow in scrub and muntjac hidden in brambles no worries.
    I’ll see if I can get the exact model off the guy for you.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Ken has never sold pards

We haven’t sold Pards.
    The Pards are getting a bit long in the tooth now, old technology compared to what we sell. That’s why they are heavily discounted and why dealers are offloading with a rebate. Even with rebate they don’t compare well with our Conotech and Sytong models. Our most popular scope is the Conotech Polaris 350RL. This has a NETD of <35mk, 50mm focal length and integrated rangefinder with ranged balistic hold overs. Get in touch if you want to discuss options. We have a blog on our nightvision website too that discusses the various technical aspects of thermal and digital NV.

infiRay TL35 Tube

Traditional scope design with 30mm tube
    Exc price for its clarity etc
    Stump likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    We haven’t sold Pards.
    The Pards are getting a bit long in the tooth now, old technology compared to what we sell. That’s why they are heavily discounted and why dealers are offloading with a rebate. Even with rebate they don’t compare well with our Conotech and Sytong models. Our most popular scope is the Conotech Polaris 350RL. This has a NETD of <35mk, 50mm focal length and integrated rangefinder with ranged balistic hold overs. Get in touch if you want to discuss options. We have a blog on our nightvision website too that discusses the various technical aspects of thermal and digital NV.
    Get your facts right Ken, nothing in that post of yours is true. The new pards are miles above your stuff, your NETD is only <35 compared to pards <25 not to mention their pixel size.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Get your facts right Ken, nothing in that post of yours is true. The new pards are miles above your stuff, your NETD is only <35 compared to pards <25 not to mention their pixel size.
    This thread is about thermal scopes not scanners. Scopes you mount to a gun, scanners are handheld. The Conotechs and Sytongs are much better speced scopes than the equivilent pards.

I’m talking about scopes, the new pards arrive in a week or so

I say go for it. Let us know the pros and cons of each other's products. It would be good to know more than the specs but what you actually think of each other's stuff. Respectfully of course.

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    I’m talking about scopes, the new pards arrive in a week or so
    If we are talking about future products, 2022 is going to be very interesting ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    We haven’t sold Pards.
    Ken do you have a brief explanation on NETD etc on your dite, or could you post one here please?

I don’t sell pards but I do use them. The max magnification is 4x. Like all thermals at max mag there is slight pixilation, overall I’m happy with the unit and recommend them. I’ve stopped using the pip as you can’t use the magnification it does have its uses though when close and you have a mob of animals to deal with.

NETD stands for noise equivalent temperature difference. Simply put put this is how well at a defined set of parameters the thermal sensor can discern between 2 temperatures. It’s measured in millikevens mk. The lower the mk the better the image and contrast
    Phil_H likes this.

One of the future products we have incoming is the Conotech Polaris 650RL with integrated rangefinder and will be retailing at the high 5K mark. Conotech sent us the first prototype to test and we made a quick video below. We will do some more testing with a bit of pest control over the next few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdntEInJiiw

As fat ninja said above NETD is the measurement of temperature difference. The lower the figure the better. The other specification commonly published is the sensor pixel size. 17 microns is pretty much the current standard. We are starting to see 12 micron sensors on the market. A smaller pixel size allows the use of smaller germanium objective lens (expensive) which leads to a reduction in the cost of thermal manufacture.
    Phil_H likes this.