Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: semi auto 243?

semi auto 243?

Het lads and ladies,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing a semi auto 243 -270 ish semi auto rifle around of does someone have one for sale???.
    I am looking on behalf of a mate that is looking for something bigger than a AR but not as big as a 308 ( they seem to be quiet common)

any help would be appreciated.

Have a good weekend all

You can get ARs in all sorts of chamberings these days. The Browning BAR was also made in 243, 270 etc and there are still a few of them kicking around.

There is a lot of BAR,s in 243 around plus there is also the Remington range still around although parts are not too flash for the Rems

DPMS do a 243 I think.

Bloke by the name of Steve on the facebook page "Rifle Parts Buy/Sell/Swap NZ" has this:
    "I have a Remington .243 Woodsmaster Model 742 with weaver scope mounts for $590. Has 5 round detachable magazine and replacement butt pad"

Pretty looking gun too. Worth checking out

Lazy prick should trim the recoil pad properly

I looked into those 742s at one stage and thought better of it, aparently there are some common age-related problems but I can't remember the details.

dogmatix and gadgetman like this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Fark me thats UGLY

If you want a decent A cat semi, just get a Browning Shorttrac in 243, get it re-crowned ( don't surppress though, turns out it more trouble than its worth ) & go shooting
    samba likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

I agree with @Philipo get a Browning Shorttrac. They are great rifles, other than a heavy trigger they are lovely to shoot and surprisingly accurate. Point real nice (like a shotgun) so very good for bush stalking. You can pick from a wood or synthetic stock as well.

I have my .308 Shorttrac grouping 1/2-3/4" at 100yards all day with reloads (cheap old sierra pro hunters).

the Remington semi is not even a shadow on the Browning, they jam up like a mofo.

They pop up on TradeMe from time to time, and their price has come down a lot over the past few years, so you may get lucky.
    Danny likes this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

I agree browning bar in 243 is pretty dam sweet my parters brother has one in lefty he brought it new and shit its a nice machine id have it in my safe any day the those woodmasters have the reputation of jamming all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    Lazy prick should trim the recoil pad properly
    It was traded like that, but has the original butt pad. I only took it for the scope.

If you don't buy the Browning, I bloody will!

Also, DPMS AR in 243 or 260Rem are options too, just cost more than that scoped and suppressed Browning. Other issue with an AR is it looks like a AR and not a hunting rifle. Depends what you want it for I guess.
    samba likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    Het lads and ladies,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing a semi auto 243 -270 ish semi auto rifle around of does someone have one for sale???.
    I am looking on behalf of a mate that is looking for something bigger than a AR but not as big as a 308 ( they seem to be quiet common)

any help would be appreciated.

Have a good weekend all
    Is your mate wanting a hunting gun or target shooter?
    For semi-auto I'm a big fan of the SKS. The 16 inch barrel carbine is great for in the bush. 20" is good for just about everything else, except maybe very long range (over 400M) shots. They can also be shortened further if required and made into Bullpups fairly easily. He would probably want a bigger chambered gun if he was wanting to do longer shots anyway. SKS is cheap, rugged and very easy to work on and to customise. You can slap big mags on without breaking the bank and they are built to be neglected by stupid peasants which suits me fine. And the ammo is the cheapest and most plentiful centrefire.