Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: SFP or FFP

SFP or FFP

Does it really matter which focal plane you use when you will be using a range finder? The scope I'm looking at buying is SFP. Vortex Viper HS T 4-16x44. This is a new step for me after using a 4.5-14x40 for a long time and I'm a little confused. I understand that the scope is calibrated at different magnification to match the hash marks but if you are not going to use hash marks does it really matter?
    Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but if you don't know you don't know.

Cheers Dan

Great for making corrections when you see the splash, just measure with the reticle and dial it in.
    quentin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Does it really matter which focal plane you use when you will be using a range finder? The scope I'm looking at buying is SFP. Vortex Viper HS T 4-16x44. This is a new step for me after using a 4.5-14x40 for a long time and I'm a little confused. I understand that the scope is calibrated at different magnification to match the hash marks but if you are not going to use hash marks does it really matter?

Cheers Dan
    FFP is good if you need to make shots at different magnifications at different distance quickly without adjusting. Good for military/police and certain types of competition. I found that the changing width of the cross hairs a bit disconcerting on mine (magnified along with the target). Probably not necessary for most people but has the "tacticool appeal".

ebf
    Depends on what you intend using it for...

At close range a lot of the FFP reticles become quite difficult to use, the lines are simply too big.

If you are going to use a range finder, I would say stick to SFP.

If you are going to use the reticle for ranging, then go with FFP.

SFP with hash marks allows a relatively easy way of holding off if you can see where the impact was.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Only a hunting rifle. Target shooting to play but not competition. Have a range finder already been using one for 10yrs now. So changing the magnification whilst only using main reticle won't impact anything if you have set up scope.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Depends on what you intend using it for...

At close range a lot of the FFP reticles become quite difficult to use, the lines are simply too big.

If you are going to use a range finder, I would say stick to SFP.

If you are going to use the reticle for ranging, then go with FFP.

SFP with hash marks allows a relatively easy way of holding off if you can see where the impact was.
    I like the reticle to stay the same size/thickness throughout the magnification range so I like SFP. It is just a matter of a quick look at the magnification ring to work out any scaling necessary to work out any adjustment. SFP is a lot more versatile to me.
    ebf likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post

Cheers Dan
    If you aren't using the hash marks then SFP/FFP doesn't make a difference.
    What does make a difference, especially in a hunting scope is the reticle changing size.
    When set to the lowest magnification setting the reticle can be very small on a FFP scope which is not what you want in a hunting scope.

For a strictly hunting scope SFP is the better option, FFP is great for many things but not the better option in a hunting scope.
    Bagheera likes this.

One day you will miss, having a first plane you can quickly without taking eye off or changing shit or checking range finder or any other shit, make a measurement and second shot fast hopefully securing your game

Have been there trying to get a sfp shooter on to target and it is painful

I prefer ffp but like rest have said each has their pros and cons, only you can decide what you truly prefer by trying both for your style of shooting

Dan,
    You won't be disadvantaged either way, FFP or SFP.
    If you don't intend to use the reticle for any corrections then it is a moot point.
    If you eventually do, then just be aware how the magnification affects the subtension measurements on a SFP reticle.
    SFP will normally be a cheaper scope to manufacture, so price is often the biggest point of difference.
    I have a slight preference for FFP, but happily own and use SFP scopes too. They both have their pros and cons.
    Sounds like you intend to dial to laser varified distances, rather than use hold over. So correcting follow up shots is where you could consider benefiting by employing either reticle type. Don't get too hung up on it though.
    Paddy79 likes this.

Cheers moutere you have answered my question. Thanks all for the input. Has clarified my understanding a whole lot more.

Appreciate my SFP more now.

I have the scope you are looking at bar the target turrets in SFP. In the book of words that comes with the scope it tells you what the MOA is for each of the hash marks, from memory on 16x the first hash is 1.5 MOA, second 4.5, third 7.5, and the post is 11 MOA. I have checked my drop chart and found the closet MOA on that and now have ranges for each of those hash marks. Now I can range a target and if it comes in very close to those ranges on the hash marks I could use them instead of dialing.
    Haven't used them yet as I use dial up instead but the option is there if you want it.

Vortex HS-T MRAD and MOA reticles

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  179.6 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  163.6 KB

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Don't fuck around with FFP on a hunting rifle, they are just a pain in the arse
    gadgetman, ARdave, ebf and 1 others like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!