Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Shitty cheapish scope that you have hung onto

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Shitty cheapish scope that you have hung onto

Because they just keep going
    I have a Nikko Sterling 4x40 gold crown that came with a Mauser 6.5x55 in the early 90's, one of those refurbished M96's in 6.5x55 for those that remember

It has been on that 6.5x55, 2x 308's, one a BLR, a Lever gun in 44 mag and .22 untill recently
    It has always worked, set and forget, lost the rubber ring around the eye piece years ago [ switched to .22] and now currently resides in my spare parts box
    Any one else have a cheepo that has done really well.
    caberslash likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yup. First scope I ever owned. Think it was a Nikko Stirling Silver Crown 4x32. Came on a Norinco 22 mag I stupidly bought as my first rifle. It ended up on my Grandads Winchester 69A and shot hundreds of rabbits. I don't know if I still have it, might be amongst the pile of old scopes I have.
    jakewire likes this.

Had a tasco pronghorn on my first deer rifle 30yrs ago,midland .308, kept going and going.

Simmons 3-12x40 cam with m7 223 I bought back in mid ninetees, been to hell and back, deer pigs and countless numbers of goats.
    Cut a stoat in half at fifty meters once.

Paint has worn off top half and a few dinks.
    Not the best clarity and quite blurry at high magnification.
    Could,nt give it away even if tried so I just keep using it. Currently on .308
    jakewire likes this.

4-16×42 nickon Monarch......been on a few rifles from 22mag to 30-06, will probably go on a 223 at some stage. Too cheap to sell off, way too good to consider getting rid of
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Got a 22 that used to belong to my mates dad since he was a kid. I don't have any idea what it is as the name has long since disappeared .
    The reticle has even some how rotated 45 degrees plus in the scope body, but amazingly still pokes the rounds where the scope says they should go.
    Also my papoose still wears the same super-short 4x scope I fitted to it when purchased early nineties and has never missed a beat after all the abuse that has had. And super short so it still fits in it's takedown bag .
    born to hunt - forced to work

Tasco 6x40 post and wire reticle would be 40 plus years old been on a 270, 308, 223, 3006. Just keeps going, shitty to reticle by today's standards though.

1990 Tasco 4x32 from Sutherland Sports in New Plymouth here, migrated from my .22 Anschütz 1450 to my 30-06 Remington Mountain Rifle in 1994, ashamedly it’s been there ever since.

An Olivian 4-16-44 that I brought from the tahr show 13yr ago has out lived a 223 and prob 800 rounds into its second 1 final given up

1.7-10x42 Swaro

Simmons 3-9x40 from the early 90's, was originally on dads .270. I shot my first deer with it and 25 years later, it's still going strong on one of my .22lr's.

Banned
    4x32 Kahles, bought new from Wilhelm Arms and Optics in the late 80's, no one would give you a thankyou for such a scope today but it has never moved despite knocks and crashes over banks etc

4x32 Miroku (Bentley) from about 1978.
    I have to admit its not even in a set of rings as as spare at the moment but I can't bring myself to part with it.
    Other retired scopes like a couple of VX-1 have been sighted in as spares and sit in spare rings ready to be thrown back into service in an emergency.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yup another vote for the old Tasco, I have a gloss black 4x of uncertain vintage (old) that I was given by my Grandpa when I was a youngster. I had it on numerous rifles as a teenager and it went with me when I moved to Africa and was on my ZKK601 .243 Win for a good while. It was given with that rifle to a younger relative as a hand me down, but one time when I visited them and found it lying around all grubby and unloved, so I took it back. Then it went on various rimfires and did a shit load of shooting here in NZ on a 10/22.

Still have it, its on the Howa .243 training rifle now for my boys. Never let me down, no fogging or wandering zero. Just simple as.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

i have a couple of tasco scopes
    1.5-4.5x32 proshot? reticle (similar to the loopy turkey plex)
    and a 2-8 x32 compact (sitting on my 8mm at the moment till i can afford something more in keeping )
    have a redfield sitting on the shelf waiting for a suitable rifle.......patiently waiting....