Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: "Shooting" day pack vs "normal" day pack

"Shooting" day pack vs "normal" day pack

So I've never owned a dedicated shooting/hunting/tacticool day pack before as I've just used a pretty stand small 18L bag for my casual shooting and short hunting trips.
    I've had pretty good success the last 10+ years, but one of things that's always bugged me is that it's never rigid enough to shoot off unless I unnecessarily cram it with stuff.

For those of you with these types of packs, do they tend to be more rigid or offer any obvious benefits over your backpack.
    Also keen to hear any recommendations that I could look at before buying to decide if it's what I'm after.

Tramping pack brands for the win

Tried a few of "hunting packs" from hunters element, stony creek and few others and they are rubbish in comparison

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    GravelBen and Steve123 like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Ridgeline Tru shot backpack could be worth a look?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6uTazGbY6HPTCN

If its like everything Ridgeline I ever tried the zips will probably fall apart after about a week.
    veitnamcam, Rich007, res and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    If its like everything Ridgeline I ever tried the zips will probably fall apart after about a week.
    If your lucky.
    GravelBen likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

res
    hunting packs seem to be over priced for what they are, tramping packs for the win imho. A hunting mate has a stuffed sock atached to his pack to make it better to shot from.
    Using Tapatalk

northdude
    How about using a bipod

I have been using this recently, especially if I am going to need a rest on hillsides. It was great shooting wallabies off.
    It has a meat sleeve and you can put all sorts of bags on it. Legs and meat slip into the sleeve and behind the bag. Great for carrying a big load of meat with,

Wont be everyones cup of tea though. And not cheap.

Name:  IMG_1834.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  8.15 MB

Name:  IMG_1831.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  6.06 MB

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/hunting-packs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfREArd8cY8

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    How about using a bipod
    I usually carry one, but find they have limited effectiveness due to long grass and step terrain.
    I've started shooting with a sling which I find very effective but a sling and pack would be even better.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    hunting packs seem to be over priced for what they are, tramping packs for the win imho. A hunting mate has a stuffed sock atached to his pack to make it better to shot from.
    Interesting you and 199p have said the same thing, is it just they aren't worth the extra money, or are the tramping packs just better designed and just as useful?

Love my twin needle minime. Roll bag so can stuff a whole boned deer in. Can take the foam back out to sit on. has side pockets perfect for water bottle and bi pod.

Name:  TN MiniMe.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  1.66 MB
    Name:  Yearling 22.10.17 4.JPG
Views: 752
Size:  4.74 MB
    10-Ring and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I usually carry one, but find they have limited effectiveness due to long grass and step terrain.
    I've started shooting with a sling which I find very effective but a sling and pack would be even better.
    Are you hunting in open terrain? I find a pack with a solid frame a pita in the Bush, and really you need a solid frame to make sitting style shots over the pack.

The big store hunting brand packs here seem to focus on overpriced gimmicks as a marketing scheme as opposed to building packs that actually work.

Cactus is mean but canvas, as durable as it is, is a bit on the noisy side for a hunting pack material. Wish they used somthing a bit quoter like cordura or similar
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I have a small Markhor 32 L pack it has a wire frame that is light but makes it strong enough that you can stand it on end and shoot off the top of it for elevation. It is designed to be quite low on your back, so doesnt suffer from getting hung up.
    I think it was called a Corsica. Main fault as the perfect day pack was the hip belt is too thin to be effective, I got an Emmerson wide belt off TM and threaded it onto that and its been great!
    Most soft style packs I have tried tend to roll around on your back, and throw you off balance just when you dont want to.

Banned
    What about the traditional time proven method using your mustering / hill stick as a rest ? Sitting position with point of stick trapped in your right instep and the stick laying across at 45 degrees onto left knee. Stick and fore -end gripped with left hand.
    Bill999 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Love my twin needle minime. Roll bag so can stuff a whole boned deer in. Can take the foam back out to sit on. has side pockets perfect for water bottle and bi pod.

Attachment 129115
    Attachment 129116
    Looks like the Lions beat you to the deer Gibo
    Gibo and Cordite like this.