Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Phil_H

Thread: Shooting Ear Muffs

Shooting Ear Muffs

Planning on getting my dad some for Christmas, I use a set of impact sport electronic ones but do find they really pick up Cicadas and feel they could be better.
    I use mine mainly for range shooting and a bit of hunting but he will really only use them for duck shooting.
    Am leaning towards the peltor protac hunters but after any experience or recommendations before I push the button.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Planning on getting my dad some for Christmas, I use a set of impact sport electronic ones but do find they really pick up Cicadas and feel they could be better.
    I use mine mainly for range shooting and a bit of hunting but he will really only use them for duck shooting.
    Am leaning towards the peltor protac hunters but after any experience or recommendations before I push the button.
    I have had a set of the Sport Tac's for about 2 years now. Not sure if they are a model up or down form the Protac's.

For the money and what I use them for, I thoroughly recommend them.

I have severe hearing loss over different frequency ranges and wear hearing aids all the time. I have no desire to lose anymore hearing.

I use the Sport Tac's on the range and out hunting.

On the range they are great, and because of the ability to amplify sound I can hear and communicate with others without having to wear my hearing aids.

In the field, tramping through bush wearing them can be a pain, though I still do it at times especially where I think I am going to let off a shot.

Most of my hunting, at present, is a slow stalk of a forest edge on the side of a hill or just sitting hidden in the bush in the same spot, watching.

Here they come into their own. I can hear everything around me and am even alerted to a deer dragging it back feet over the top wire or a pig pushing its way through a fence up to 100 meters away. I also can hear the pigs gnawing at the fallen trees in the bush in their quest for grubs and the knock of antlers on low hanging branches - where I sit on the forest edge is 20 meters from a well used exit point for animals

I'm sure there are better for more money, but as a balance between cost and performance, I can't fault them.

Cheers
    Phil
    Ingrid 51 and Cooper like this.

I think they might be the flasher model, are they Bluetooth?
    They seem like they have a bit more of a scallop towards the bottom of the shell which could help cheek weld a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I think they might be the flasher model, are they Bluetooth?
    They seem like they have a bit more of a scallop towards the bottom of the shell which could help cheek weld a bit
    Don't think they are bluetooth but definitely have some connection on the bottom of them for an electronic device.

Never had any issue with cheek weld. My beard is the only thing that tends to get in the way.

This is from the 3M site

Product Description
    3M™ PELTOR™ SportTac™ Headsets are designed for use whilst hunting or shooting.
    They help protect against harmful impact noise, whilst allowing ambient sounds to be
    heard at a level below 82dB.
    Key Features
    • Attenuating hearing protector
    • Level dependent function for ambient listening
    • Interchangeable shells makes it easy to change colours
    • Auto power off, the headset will turn off after 2 hrs of
    non-use to save batteries.
    • Foldable headband for easy storage
    • J22 input for connection to external devices
    • To reduce the corrosion caused by sweat the electronics are located
    in the outer part of the cup.
    Applications
    Hunting and Shooting

Cheers
    Phil

I have a pair only issue I have is creeks and streams that without muffs you cant hear so pretty loud.
    Otherwise good