Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Short barrel 223

We just brought the kids an h&r handi in 223 it has an ebs full over barrel suppresser has anyone had any experience with short(12.5" barrel 18" suppresser on)barrels ie what ammo heavy or light work better

northdude
    what twist is it

Yet to check but from what data I can find should be a 1:9

northdude
    I've got a h&r 223 I'm trying to figure out what it likes as well

I was using the winchester 62 or 64 grain (can't remember the exact weight, it was one of the two) deer/antelope rounds in my 16in 1-9 twist ar with good results. A bit more knock down than the 55gr. I believe much heavier and a faster twist is recommended.
    born to hunt - forced to work

northdude
    Grey beard outdoors is the h&r site to visit

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    I was using the winchester 62 or 64 grain (can't remember the exact weight, it was one of the two) deer/antelope rounds in my 16in 1-9 twist ar with good results. A bit more knock down than the 55gr. I believe much heavier and a faster twist is recommended.
    Knock down not really a thing with the .223 on Deer size game but 64gr definitely holds together better than the lighter bullets meant for varmints, one of the reasons the .222 Rem was so useful in NZ on Deer & Goats was the fact in Europe it was/is used on bigger game than in the US & if you use Sako, Norma, Sellier & Bellot, RWS you ended up with a tougher projectile & it worked on Deer, same for the 22 Hornet really.

Speer 70gr normally still shoot ok in normal twist .223 Rem, I'd be surprised if a H&R had a fast twist like 1:9 ?

Norma even load a 62gr load for the 222Rem (we used the 53gr a lot back in the day) & not many fast twist Triple 2's around .

Even better by the looks if Rifle/Barrel is 2006 or later H&R made them in 1:9, which is sweet but still Ok if 1:12 like the older rifles, just need to keep the revs up for the heavy bullets to open, but lots of AR15's had short barrels so loads should be about ?
    Last edited by Scout; 15-11-2020 at 09:34 AM.

funny Ive always thought it was other way around...the trebly rounds were 50grns and SOFTER the 223 rounds 55 and harder...so the trebly killed better as it opened up better rather than penciling through....for years,well ok since I bought 223 24 years ago its been fed far more 50 grn pills than 55s and I havent seen need to change it...I do use flat based 50grn ttsx on deer/pigs but really rated the hornady bulk pack 55grn stuff,so maybe their bog std 55grn projectiles are good option...will be years till I need to buy anymore to find out.
    for bunnies you will be hard pressed to find better than 50grn zmax vmax they really preform awesomely the spsx from hornady were dynamite on wallabies but messy.....guess the first two replaced them????

Apparently the 1s with extractors were 1:9 ejector were 1:12