Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Short barrelled 300WM performance

Post Short barrelled 300WM performance

After some advice on cutting down my tikka t3 super light in 300WM. It’s my do everything rifle and I hunt the bush and the tops out to about 600m on animals.

It’s got the standard 24in barrel and I was wondering how short people were going while maintaining decent speeds and range.

Normally don’t run the suppressor in the bush due to the added length. Currently using 150gr soft points federal blue box in the bush and 200gr eldx for longer shots.

I apologise in advance if there’s already a thread about this, I couldn’t find it.

Cheers

I run a 19" 300wsm with 178 eldm's its a pretty sweet set up 2782fps not hot load at all but super accurate ragged 1 hole 3 shot groups are the norm at 100y
    Bill999 and Mills like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Define decent.

Figure out what muzzle velocity you need from your ammo to get the impact velocity you need for the bullets to do their thing properly. Chrono it as is then work backwards to see how much you could theoretically chop off whilst remaining above that threshold.

Then leave the thing full length, because a short barreled 300wm sounds like it would be frickin horrible to shoot.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Cheers Pommy, some solid advice. Gives me a place to start

Decent would be around 2700fps

iv got a 20inch barrel on my 300wm, i get 2900fps with 178eldx. it is suppressed and there's one hell of a muzzle blast without it (i tried with a brake and took it off immediately). 610 yards is my longest shot so far and i have no doubts it still has plenty of knock down power for longer if i need it.
    dannyb likes this.

I was thinking 20inch as well, that’s good performance silentscope. What rig are you using to get that?

I had mine cut to 22 inch and suppressed, I now get 2900 fps with the 190 gr LRAB and 2840 fps with the 200 gr ELDX. Didn't want to cut to short as it's a magnum at the end of the day, otherwise might as well go with a 3006 or 308.
    Moa Hunter and Mills like this.

20 is a handy length, iv got a Gunworks 12 inch maximus suppressor (pretty sure it is anyway iv had it a long time now) my load is 77grains of 2217. its been my go to rifle for more than 10 years. I'm not sure how it will go with the likes of your 200grainers to try get "decent" speeds, although I am going to do a batch of 200grainers to see how they go as I'm running out of 178grain projectiles and cant seem to find any.
    Mills likes this.

Caretaker
    Use the 178 eldx
    Mills likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

TLB
    https://rifleshooter.com/2013/12/300...6-300-win-mag/

Some real world data. They have done a few calibers.
    I cut just about everything down personally.
    Will do 600 easily. I shot a stag in the roar over 600 yards with my 16" .308. It comes down to projectile choice more so than anything.
    I personally wouldn't go with the 200gr eldx. I'd get an eldm or berger type round loaded but 178gr or over.
    Mills and 20 Bore like this.

Any of you using the dpt magnum suppressor? I just ordered one today so just wanting no what recoil like I use to run the terminator t2 but so fucking loud.

Off topic hope you don't mind Mills

I have the the DPT magnum suppressor and it works fine, less recoil and noise but it still makes a good bang just not as loud or the echo isn't as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I have the the DPT magnum suppressor and it works fine, less recoil and noise but it still makes a good bang just not as loud or the echo isn't as bad.
    with the suppressor on would the recoil be similar to a standard length barreled 308?
    The t2 was great for recoil just so dam loud.

Quote Originally Posted by stripe147 View Post
    with the suppressor on would the recoil be similar to a standard length barreled 308?
    The brakes tame down the recoil a fair bit more than the cans . But they do make a huge difference depends on projectile weight aswell

Quote Originally Posted by stripe147 View Post
    I haven't fired a 308 in a long time but yes I would be thinking they would be about similar, certainly a lot nice suppressed than not.
    stripe147 likes this.