Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Ranal
  • 1 Post By Ranal
  • 2 Post By Ranal

Thread: Shortening a Marlin .22 magazine.

Shortening a Marlin .22 magazine.

I read years ago about making a 4 shot magazine for the Marlins but the link doesn't seem to work any more so thought would give it a bash. Mine fit both in a 795 and 25N and the bolt action looks a little silly with a 10 shot hanging out the bottom.
    So while in the states this year picked up a couple spare as they are ¼ the price of them here.
    30mins with a dremel and the eyecromometre I have a 4 shot from a 10 shot. Now I can carry it me when I check the possum traps each morning in case I see some other pesty that the possum whisperer can't take care of and the magazine doesn't dig into your back.

bit of a rough scribe with it clipped in place.

bit of choppy choppy grindy grindy. Bend the tabs up with a pair of vise grips. Then grind them shorter so the bottom plate fits back on.

cut the follower down a tad.

cut the spring down. Double the length of the piece inside the magazine seemed to work for me.

almost flush fitted. Unfortunately doesn't seem to quiet compress enough to allow you to insert the magazine while the bolt is closed.
    AzumitH and mudgripz like this.

Very nice.
    How hard is it to load? No issues with tension on last round?

All my Marlin mags are hard on the fingees getting the final round in - yeah I know soft woman's hands.
    I also use a Papoose mag in my 795 but it still hangs low...

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Very nice.
    How hard is it to load? No issues with tension on last round?

All my Marlin mags are hard on the fingees getting the final round in - yeah I know soft woman's hands.
    I also use a Papoose mag in my 795 but it still hangs low...
    Papoose being the 7 round mag? I have a couple of 10 rounders for my 795, they have certainly become much much easier to load after a few thousand rounds, they were a fucking ballache to begin with.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Anyone got mags they wanna sell? Im planning a trip to central otago to shoot bunnies and have a nice 795 that I got cheap with no mag. I had a permit for promag 25rnd and a 100rnd drum but couldn't find anyone to export it so might have to bite the bullet and but domestically

Doesn't seem to be any issues. Rapid fired it and they all cycled well. All of my mags are easy to load. Going to shorten a blues one as well to match my blued 25N. I took couple goes to get the spring and follower correct.

I saw the 25 shot mags while in the states. Should have gotten some

Got to see if it's possible to squeeze 5 shots into a normal blued mag but still keep it flush. Will let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Anyone got mags they wanna sell? Im planning a trip to central otago to shoot bunnies and have a nice 795 that I got cheap with no mag. I had a permit for promag 25rnd and a 100rnd drum but couldn't find anyone to export it so might have to bite the bullet and but domestically
    Not for sale, but if you'll be passing through Fairlie I've got a couple of 10-rounders you'd be welcome to borrow for the trip, depending on timing..

@zimmer I managed to shorten one of the 7 shot mags to a flush 5 shot. Reversed the spring so it pushed up on the rim more and seems to feed all 5 well. Just engaged the clip that holds it in. Drops out easy so not to hard to remove.

zimmer likes this.

I unfortunately forgot that the one magazine I shortened won't go into the 795 but nothing a dremel wouldn't solve. But left to right 4,5,7&10 shot mags.
    zimmer and rossi.45 like this.

@Ranal is that my old gun stock in the picks looks like the one I got off toby before he sadly passed and re finished

If so hows the finish holding up mate i was unsure about the danish oil for rifle stocks

@rambo-6mmrem no sorry it isn't. It was the original one. I just sanded off the varnish and stain, had it sealed and rubbed raw linseed oil into it. Just wanted something over all the other red stained stocks.