Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum

Thread: Should I just buy a T3?

Should I just buy a T3?

I want a light weight S/S mountain rifle in 25/06 or 270 to complement my beloved, short barreled, A11 Sako in .308...and limited funds to get there.

So I recently bought a old Sako L62R with the idea of building a custom rifle. Initially a trueflite barrel (fluted or at least skinnier than the current barrel), and some stage in the future a light weight synthetic stock, there would be new rings and also action truing in the cost as well. In doing all this I will, eventfully, have what I would consider close to a perfect rifle. But...it will take a few years, and not inconsiderable $$ (given the mortgage, kids etc). Well over $2000 all up (not including the cost of the rifle)

It crossed my mind that I could sell the sako and buy a brand new Tikka T3. Ultimately this would only cost some hundreds of dollars rather than thousands, and have a rifle say about 95% of perfect, and simply get out shooting. The remaining money would go on a flash scope and/or laser range finder both of which will be years away if I go with the first option.

I've always wanted to do a costum build but the second option just kinda makes sense!

What do you fellas reckon?

The T3 would be a more economic option.

Why not something in 6.5 or 7mm? Then you would have something with a real advantage over the beloved 308
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Go with your dreams bro... Your morgage and ur mrs an kids owe it to you

i know where you are comming from in regard to cost. i in the same boat. BUT. it may take you a few years but go with your plan. you may get a tikka which is a fine shooter but what u want is your first option really. every man and his dog has a tikka nowdays, it may take time but do your custom job you will be far happier with the final result, and u wont want for anything else or wishing u had done it. life is short.

Caretaker

Should I just buy a T3?

The T3 in 270 or 7mm rem mag makes sense. If climbing hard and high is your thing then Flute the bolt and barrel to drop some weight.
    Put good money into a scope and rangefinder.

Its difficult to find a lighter, more accurate rifle, at a better price.
    Matt2308 and Happy like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yeah as 7mm & VC said, a T3 in 7mm RM would be the go, I sold one recently that was basically brand new - threaded with a 20moa rail ,spiral fluted bolt & had load development done for $1100 so keep an eye out there are some bargains around

PS- I have owned & sold two SS plastic stocked T3's, They shoot well but I hate carrying em, that 7mm RM lasted one trip into the hills & then got the flick Blahahahaha
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

if you did get the tikka it is already in a long action so if you went 6.5 you could get it reamed out to 6.5-284 or even 6.5-06, 7mm rem mag well that is a no brainer just get a suppressor and limb saver recoil pad for it to tame the bitch if you do
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals