Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sighting in targets

Sighting in targets

What does everyone use or what's preferred sight in targets Do you use black or red. I Sometimes find it difficult to see where the shot went at 200 Mtrs. Have gongs but when you miss they are not much help

Just interested to see what every one else does. We have a good gully to shoot in and a good post mounted board to staple 12 A4 sheets to. Straight level shots out to 200 Mtrs

Cheers
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

I use only red now, reckon it's much easier to see out to 200, but becomes hard to focus on over that, so back to black. Heavy black circle works reasonably well at longer ranges. Just my 2c

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    There is all these flash things on the net but I find a simple sheet I've made myself using inch squares covering an A4 sheet with a heavier simple long cross in the middle, in black allows me to remain at 100 when sighting and using the squares able to shift the scope without having to walk to the target each time .The cross is also good at 200 though I cannot usually see the squares as I've made them quite light.
    Also I've always found being able to lay my cross hairs on a cross, not a corner of a box or try to center or quarter a small circle has been better for me and I've tried heaps of different ones.
    Other peoples experiences may differ.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Agree with the cross. Works a treat.

I like these ones, I use number 1, it's a bit hard on printer ink but is very clear and you can easily see your adjustments.
    I hate shooting at circles.
    That said I only shoot paper when sighting in
    http://www.targetz.com/targets01.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draw a cross on a old beer box with a vivid
    sako75, veitnamcam and deer243 like this.

eh, save the printer ink.

I use a4 printer paper and went to stationery shop and bought some 20mm black stick on dots and 12mm white dots. black for bulls eye and white to patch them up if needed. that's for 1-200m, 300 I use a 100mm bullseye, but on the rifle I use to shoot that distance magnification is a plenty
    mikee likes this.

res
    I tend to use a orange patch (12mm) stuck onto a suitable sized bit of paper.

Or just draw a cross with a vivid
    Using Tapatalk

Flick us ya email bro i'll send ya @kiwi39's one he sent me. 6 targets on one page inch grids rady ra
    Happy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redbang View Post
    I use only red now, reckon it's much easier to see out to 200, but becomes hard to focus on over that, so back to black. Heavy black circle works reasonably well at longer ranges. Just my 2c
    +1

I just use red dots and stick them on paper. Quick and cheap.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I prefer the grid targets for 100m, helps me with scope alignment horizontal and vertical. But then just a general bullseye for 200m, red or black.

Cost wise they're pretty cheap to buy, considering how much money has been sunk into rifle, scope, gear, safe, ammunition, reloader, earmuffs, clothing, petrol - shit the list goes on

I made up a series of these with the same 1" grid.
    The one below is what I consider for a hunting rifle at 100yds with a relatively low power scope. I normally use one with six smaller diamonds on it for varmint rifles but have a large single diamond one for 200yds. The grid takes away the guesswork as to how much you need to correct.

The advantage of the hollow open diamond is that you can see the bullet holes easily and the reticle centres very well on the aiming mark.
    PM your email addr if you want me to send you these as Word files

If I want to zero a given height above the dot at 100m I just measure up that distance from the dot an put a cross with a marker pen.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I use the back of old calender pages. Larger than A4 ones and glossy so last better than ordinary A4 photo copy paper. Or glossy posters.

I put 1 1" red dot in the center and 1 in each of the 4 quarters so I get 5 targets all up. Patch up holes with white dots and a red marker as required.
    When 1.8" (whatever the fuk that works out to in metric) high at 100m then I know it is bang on at 200m for my 308.
    Given my longest ever shot was 137m I don't think I will ever shoot past 200m.

Remember to let your barrel cool between shots as most likely your first shot at an animal will be with a cold barrel

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    I use the back of old calender pages. Larger than A4 ones and glossy so last better than ordinary A4 photo copy paper. Or glossy posters.

I put 1 1" red dot in the center and 1 in each of the 4 quarters so I get 5 targets all up. Patch up holes with white dots and a red marker as required.
    When 1.8" (whatever the fuk that works out to in metric) high at 100m then I know it is bang on at 200m for my 308.
    Given my longest ever shot was 137m I don't think I will ever shoot past 200m.

Remember to let your barrel cool between shots as most likely your first shot at an animal will be with a cold barrel
    Do you check it at 200? I used to think it was that easy too
    sako75 likes this.