Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sightron stac 3-16 Good or Bad

Sightron stac 3-16 Good or Bad

Those using the stacs, how are you finding them? Do they Dial ok? Glass all good? comparable to a vx3?

Looking to upgrade my Viper HS and am pondering one of these.

Also looking at the 6500 bushies, and maybe a 2-10 vx5, although i would rather have side focus.

Cheers

Excellent value. As good as Vx3.
    Glass is fine, clicks are clicky and consistent.
    Few ounces too heavy.

If you are looking at 3-16 how about a VX5 3-15? That has side focus. Great scope I think. I just got one. Just sighted it in so early days but I have a good feeling. I would personally put it ahead of the 6500 bushnells.
    Shearer likes this.

This is mine (STAC). Its on my 6.5x55 S&L. Longest shot has been 425 yds in these clearings and it wasn't difficult.

Name:  IMG_2952.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  2.51 MB
    Last edited by Tahr; 01-10-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    gadgetman, Beaker, Nick-D and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Excellent value. As good as Vx3.
    Glass is fine, clicks are clicky and consistent.
    Few ounces too heavy.
    Yeah no free lunches right. They are pretty heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    If you are looking at 3-16 how about a VX5 3-15? That has side focus. Great scope I think. I just got one. Just sighted it in so early days but I have a good feeling. I would personally put it ahead of the 6500 bushnells.
    Yeah had a play with one today. Lovely glass, adjustments kinda mushy though. Bit more money than i've budgeted unfortunately. Trying to buy a house so the CFO is on the ramapage

Fair enough. I've heard nothing but good things about the sightrons. Never had a play with one but I'd like to.

Glass on the Bushy is better to my eyes.

Find the Sightron a little washed out, but the clicks are good, its solid and tracks well.
    I would love to look through the 4-20x50 and see if the sight picture is any better as the 42 mm objective just seemed too small for me as I wanted it for varminting and the reticle is excellent.

Hi Love mine. I've got the MOA2 reticle which is great for holdovers and true clicks.

I did have to send one back after some crap fell out onto the glass but it was replaced no questions asked and the current one same great tracking, robust, great light gathering can't say more for them... Excellent price wise. Should be around $850-900 from what I've seen.

Gives you great confidence to line up those longer shots as you know its going to go just where you dial it!
    Neck shots at 320 - No problem!!

Yes heavy but very robust. Not really an issue unless you are are scaling near verticle Thar territory... Not like you notice it on a wee yomp!

Banned
    They are good though a little heavy and bulky...a vx3 is a better all round scope on a carry rifle I think.

Yeah man they are good scopes, mag ranges just don't do it for me though. They need to move to a 4x erector setup. I don't like anything more than 3 power In the bush and would like 10 at the minimum top end. Also not enough of a difference in glass from my viper for me to bother

Banned
    Yep, the 4.5x put me off.
    I find the STAC great in open country on a sling and have smaller (and cheaper) rigs for bush.
    If doing it again I would live with the vx3 or spring for a Zeiss hd5 on a 1 rifle for all occasions.

I have the 2.5-17.5x56 on my AR
    Yes, the picture through it looks more washed out than my Ziess hd5 3-15x44, but TBH, I can see bullet holes through the STAC when at the range, and I can't see bullet holes through my hd5.

Banned
    The 2.5-17 is a different beast I think. Made in Japan with different glass. Priced accordingly.
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Yeah had a play with one today. Lovely glass, adjustments kinda mushy though. Bit more money than i've budgeted unfortunately. Trying to buy a house so the CFO is on the ramapage
    @Nick-D I've got a brand new STAC 3-16x if u r still looking. PM sent