Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Silencer question

Silencer question

So, Been looking high and low at hundreds of guns and thanks to you lads I'm sold on getting a .308!

Anyway, I'm looking at a package and if spend pretty much 400 more It comes with a 3-9x40 scope and an over barrel detachable suppressor.. Is it worth the extra bit of saving? Do suppressors really make that much difference? I've never seen a firearm used with one in person and its bloody hard to tell on a video. I'm guessing that since a .308 is supersonic it would still create a loud snap from breaking the sound barrier.

Am I better off getting the rifle on its own and just getting a scope separately? The rifle in question is a savage axis.

(Sorry if I sound like an idiot for any reason, This will be my first firearm.. I'm only young!)

surpressors are handy, i have been with mates that use them and when they have missed their first shot the deer usually dont spook and run away giving them another shot at them. personally i dont like using them cus they make my rifle awkward to carry but thats just me. as for the scope, get the best one you can afford, it pays for itself very quickly.

northdude
    id read some reviews on an axis before youget one
    Pengy likes this.

SiB
    I suppressed my .308 and would def encourage you to do it.

Don’t end up a deaf old fart.
    Get a suppressor.
    Dougie and anderset20 like this.

ebf
    Hi scottishkiwi

Package deals generally tend to be a bit hit and miss. Shops sometimes use low end scopes that they would not be likely to sell otherwise, so you might not be getting such a good deal after all. Same for suppressor quality. Ask which specific model of suppressor is part of the deal, and most importantly, get the weight.

Have a look at DPT suppressors, they have a very good reputation. Most gunsmiths will thread and crown your barrel for around $ 80 - 100.

The Axis is the real "budget" model of the savage lineup. If you can save a bit more and look at the Savage International Trophy Hunter - you'd be buying a significantly better quality firearm. There are some very good package deals for this one as well, with a Weaver scope for around $ 999.

The axis does not use the same action as the rest of the Savage lineup (models 10/11/14/16).

Suppressors have several advantages. Less noise - good for you and good for any dogs you take bush. They reduce felt recoil - something quite important for first-time shooters. For hunting they are great, quite often animals can't figure out where the shot came from, and will stick around as opposed to un-suppressed shots.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

What he said ^ ...

Axis work as a real budget rifle. Not really that easy to upgrade.

The normal savage rifles are plenty accurate and there are some good deals to be had... I would go with DPT Also as they are well priced and do a fantastic job.... get the can... just do it... ears dont really like noise.

Save up and buy the best you can afford. There may be some that will suggest Remington also.. Heaps of upgrades and some great deals on Trademe if you are patient.

is AIMSONIC suppressors available?

If you are going for a cheap scope, then get a fixed power rather than a vari...there is nothing wrong with you choice of rifle as a budget model....308 don't have enough kick to warrant anything to reduce recoil...so far on this topic the use of suppressors is for when you miss your first shot that you get another chance, easily fixed by more practise at the range...as you will be hoping to only use one shot in the field for each trip I hardly find it necessary for ear protection...different story on the range.
    veitnamcam, Spudattack and Gibo like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Have a look at the Howa, slightly more than the axis but well worth it, a much more robust rifle that can be upgraded later very easily.
    Bryan, falconhell and Nick-D like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

What they've said above. Go the Savage International Trophy Hunter or Howa, not much more than you are looking at spending on the Axis but better quality. If you're around Chch I'd be happy to take you to the range for a play with suppressor on and off.
    Pengy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yep I'd go a Howa, and if it's your first centre fire rifle, then you should suppress it.
    falconhell likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Wouldn't have a gun without a suppressor, they are pretty good

Whats your budget for a start?? Presuming its the Savage Axis H&F package at $700 + $400 for suppressor, so ~ $1000-$1100??

Ruger American .308win Suppressed/scoped package | Trade Me

7-08 SS Tikka T3 Lite | Trade Me
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Thanks for the info guys! Sorry been at uni, Yeah my budget is around 1000ish, I really don't know too much when it comes to hunting rifles as i'm from an army family and most of my knowledge revolves around ww1-ww2 and some modern military firearms. Believe it or not I'm yet to even fire a gun! Being from the UK tends to hold ya back when it comes to hunting and shooting

I asked on another thread about the howas and they seem to be quite good, I was unsure because 1. i've never heard of them and 2. They are japanese, I didn't even know they still made firearms for civvy use!

I was aiming for a proven american or eastern block brand(Like CZ), Would love a ruger or remmington but they seem to be out my budget, So I think it will be the howa 1500 and get a suppressor after I throw some shots downrange to get a feel for the rifle.
    Nick-D likes this.