Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 3 Post By Gibo

Thread: Silencer thread

Silencer thread

As i have to shorten the barrel on my 303 project, it is little more effirt to thread the barrel for a silencer if i ever want to try one later on.
    1/2 nf is getting too close to comfort for me and after measuring the o/d of the barrel (640 thou) I'm looking at a 14mm thread. Its just a bit smaller than 9/16 and will give me a slightly bigger shoulder.
    So which would be the better thread 14mm to do? Most common etc.

14x1
    "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting"

my No4 Mk1 .303 has a 1/2x20 as does 7.62x39 &.223 cause all share one suppresor.doesnt seem to worry the old battleaxe one iota.
    ya dont wanna play wicket keeper when she sends down a 180gn fastball though -it'd ruin ya bloody day as the last errant hare she nobbled found out.
    he was compost over a few gridsquares apart from a miserly tendon and lower hind leg!
    bugga all eatin in that.

1/2x20 is easily the most common and it is not uncommon on 30cal barrels.

Usually you are best to go for the biggest thread possible, in your case 14x1.
    14x1 is common but cant really say its more any more common than 15x1.

I wouldve made it 1/2×28 unf but now that i know there are other threads around, i thought it prudent to ask the question.
    @Beetroot cant go for 15mm as the shoulder would be too small thats why i was considering 9/16 and 14mm

Silly question now.... the 14x1 thread is right handed?

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Silly question now.... the 14x1 thread is right handed?
    Yes RH thread.

Being NZ metric threads are a better way to go, you will find plenty of second hand suppressors with 14x1 and most places keep stock of 14x1 also.
    9/16-24 is not a very common thread size even in the USA, 5/8-24 is usually the next step up from 1/2-20.

So basically just go for 14x1.

14x1 is the size of the thread and not the direction, though right hand thread would be the most common. (dare I say normal) I had a 30/06 done in 14x1 and a 7.62x39 done in 9/16 and 1/2 UNF on a 303. 1/2 UNF is not my preference for 30 cal as you say, because there is not a lot of meat left between the bottom of the thread and the bore.
    Tommy likes this.

Im a fitter turner that started back in 91 in a shop that talked imperial. I know all the threads but not the silencer ones. They have taken off in the 10 years i was in oz.
    My dr google research popped up a left hand 14x1 so that just started to feck me up a little

Any RH thread will be available as a LH thread, and in fact quite a few combloc things have LH threads.

14x1 is common as, totally go for that. I did wonder if a 14x1 thread would be the best do all combined with a couple of adapters in the two common half inch threads (UNF and UNEF, ie 1/2x20 and 1/2x28 tpi) as you're unlikely to get baffle strike if it isn't juuuust right, then you can use on most rimfires and the odd AR as well as the 30 cal you're talking about.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

well its done-14x1 Rh.
    Bloody steady marked the new bluing when I was turning the end off and crowning it.
    It was only a bottle blue. ill see my mate this weekend and see what we do.
    never mind

A thread about threading threads

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    A thread about threading threads
    At least it wasn't one of those 'left hand thread' 270's.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!