Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Simple, reliable scope for short range

Simple, reliable scope for short range

While experimenting with subsonic loads for my Bergara .357 magnum, I fitted a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 4x32 scope. It was the only spare scope I had, having taken it off a .22 rifle which I sold.

I've found that I can remove the scope from the Bergara... and then refit it without having to adjust the scope. While I like to use open sights, there are occasions when a scope will ensure a better shot. With this particular rig I feel I am limited to keeping my shots within eighty yards most of the time.

I don't know much about scopes. This Nikko scope has worked very well for me even though shooting 200 grain bullets must shake it around a bit compared to a .22 rimfire bullet.

I'd like to know that I have a reliable scope on my rifle. I have been thinking about getting a nice compact low powered scope... maybe something like a Leupold 1.5 - 4. But I see there are other choices too, like a Simmons Whitetail Classic 1 - 4 x 20 for maybe half the price of the Leupold. I'd be perfectly happy (or even prefer) to have a fixed power scope with less working parts... say a 2.5 or 3 power, but they don't seem to be easy to find.

There are some really inexpensive scopes available on AliExpress and elsewhere, but I doubt that they'd be reliable. But who knows?

Anyway, I'd appreciate some comments. Is the Nikko Stirling more likely to fail than something else? How have Simmons scopes performed? Are there better options that aren't disproportionately expensive? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Leupold
    Carpe Diem and Micky Duck like this.

Subs in most cals have similar trajectories, so I'd consider a rimfire scope with a BDC for subs. I had a Bushnell 2-7 which worked well and was inexpensive. It didn't track particularly well, but it didn't need to either - zeroed it and forgot about it.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

i have a 4x28 compact for sale (was on the wifes sks) has weaver style rings fitted. $50 plus postage or a leupold 1 power quick acquisition scope for $400 which is great for bush shooting

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ut-time-54158/

Leupold all the way
    Carpe Diem likes this.

The advice about a 22 scope with bdc subtensions is the best option. Nikon made some excellent .22 scopes. There's nout wrong with nikko stirling though.
    timattalon likes this.

I put vx1 3-9 on my 44 sub gun and it is great, I got the Lr duplex which gives me a 30m zero and something like 80m point of aim

there is so much estimating going on with subsonics that its barely useful but i definitly use the zoom range when delivering a CNS or brain shot usually at 5 power

2-7 firedot is my favorite tho, just not cheep and is 30mm tube so outside your parameters

I have a Bushnell 2.3/4 power on a take down 22, had it for years. A good compact scope barring when it fogged up once in the 80’s on my 308 but that’s the only issue I’ve had with it.

Suggest Weaver K4, top value for money.

My go to scope for many years was a Weaver 2.5X, one of the old steel tube models. Thats now on a mates 22, cant fault it. I have a 3X Weaver on my 222, shot more animals in a 5 year period than all of my other rifles combined. Had another 3X Weaver on a dedicated goat rifle for a while, and another on a 223. They are nice and compact, low profile and simply put - just work. Weaver has been discontinued but if you're interested I may be able to lay my hands on another.
    csmiffy likes this.

For some reason I have a hankering for a 450 Bushmaster as a scrub gun and able to take longer shots too. I kept the old Weaver 2.5 that I took off the 303 just in case I need to scratch that itch!
    Husky1600 likes this.

Thanks for all the useful and encouraging responses. I really appreciate this forum.

It seems that the Nikko Stirling scope will be fine for now.... and I will feel more confident about making a scope decision in the future.
    Husky1600 and bumblefoot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I have a Bushnell 2.3/4 power on a take down 22, had it for years. A good compact scope barring when it fogged up once in the 80’s on my 308 but that’s the only issue I’ve had with it.
    that needs to go on a x39mm bush hobbits short rifle.......it would be NEARLY as good as an old M8 4X

I am using leupold vx3i and ziess conquest these days and would recommend either brand. But there is nothing wrong with a nikko ,i had one on my old 270 gave it shit held
    zero for years ,my mate was running a nikko panomax on his howa 300wm wilst he saved up for something a bit nicer and that one is still doing good service on his 22 after hundreds of rounds on the magnum
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    Thanks for all the useful and encouraging responses. I really appreciate this forum.

It seems that the Nikko Stirling scope will be fine for now.... and I will feel more confident about making a scope decision in the future.
    Indeed. Though in all honesty 4x is probably as high as you would want to go for an 80 metre rifle. A 1-4 or similar would allow you to "both eyes open" and keep both in focus when looking through bush giving you a better field of vision and seeing where the animal goes..

My Brother uses a Vortex Spitfire 3x https://www.shooterssupplies.co.nz/p...-1544dfbf31f4/ And he is very impressed with it. (And he does not impress easily)

Also, if you dont mind batteries there are red dots as well.