Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Single Shot Rifles - Blaser & Merkel

Single Shot Rifles - Blaser & Merkel

I've been toying with getting a single shot rifle for a few years but often the ones I've handled have put me off due to weight. I know this is a dangerous rabit hole to go down as it will involve some serious $$$

Baikals... too heavy although i have thought whether you could lighten them up?

Bergara.... ok but again a bit on the weight side and not in a calibre i fancy

Thompson contender... my thumb is busted so pulling back a hammer isn't ideal.

I've been fortunate to handle a Hagn... which is stunning but pricey.

Blaser K95 & Merkels K3 I've handled in Austria so I'm toying with them although the Merkel tends to take my fancy and they offer it in a calibre such as 7x57R which I like.

So... just wondering whether anyone has any experience with the Blaser and/or Merkels to share as I know one or two members have the Blasers they actively hunt with.

@Seventenths I have had a Blaser K95 6.5x65R for over 10 years
    No complaints at all
    Blaser and Merkel will both offer all the rimmed calibers and some popular un rimmed ones
    Rimmed is a good idea because of a lack of primary extraction
    But I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the rimless
    But a lot of rimmed cases have more body taper and that helps in a single shot like this
    I doubt there's really much difference between the two flavours
    Just personal taste and what's available
    Both are as strong as a modern bolt action rifle so you can load to high pressure safely
    Both will be more accurate than most of us can shoot

I haven't used mine as my primary big game rifle
    But it goes on most alpine hunts and especially when im guiding someone because you do a lot of climbing and not a lot of shooting

Just ask if there's anything more specific you want to know
    Seventenths likes this.

I’ve had my K95 for a few years now. Love it. Packs down well, really accurate, lovely to shoot. I e got mine in 7x65R which is like a .280. Great open tops mountain cartridge. Rob liked mine so much he got one in .270. The K95 handles rimless cartridges just as well as rimmed. The disadvantage of rimmed cartridges is the cost of brass and dies and getting factory ammo is difficult to impossible. Have a think about 6.5x55 as an option as well. The .308 is a pretty popular chambering in Europe apparently.

Yes the brass is expensive
    But
    I went through all my 6.5x65R brass recently and found that in over 10 years and having used half of my 500 cases about twice each that I have only lost 3 cases in the field
    And you might also have limited choice and if that means only RWS is available it's very good brass
    57jl likes this.

ebf
    Mohawk, yup the Rugers are fantastic. I've lusted after a Farquharson style action for most of my adult life...

In the context of this thread though, they are very heavy rifles, and known to be finicky to work on, couple of gunsmiths I know are not keen to work on their internals.
    Stocky and grandpamac like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Here’s my report on my K95 from a few years back

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-report-39623/
    jakewire and Seventenths like this.

ebf
    Yeah, always good to swing past Wilson's in Whanganui and foldle a couple there. A mate of mine up the road here collects them, I think he has 5 or 6 ! Even some in true "safari" chambering
    Last edited by ebf; 24-07-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Name:  20180828_142008.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  3.56 MB

I’ve got a K95 and really am enjoying it. Always liked the idea of the single shot and classic-ness of them but was always put off personally by the hogs back style butt stocks so when Blaser brought out the classic straight stock last year I jumped on it!
    Got mine in 6.5x55, again wanted to keep things classic. Has taken a bit of trail and error for me on how best to shoot it for consistency but have got it sorted now.
    You’re more then welcome to have a look at mine if you’re up my way sometime as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

bakails arent that heavy really...and you go much lighter and the recoil factor comes to bite you in bum...taking a 7.62x39mm and reaming to 303brit would be an interesting stalking rifle....suppressing would tame it no end. decent recoil pad on other end and be good to go.
    that hagn you had fondle of wouldnt happen to be in a funky custom 6.5 chambering perchance???? LOL
    trapperjohn likes this.

I have just done a count up and realised I have 17 single shot rifles and 4 bolt action rifles
    So I guess I'm a single shot guy through and through

4 Muzzleloaders
    5 Falling blocks
    2 Martinis
    2 Rolling blocks
    4 Kipplaufs
    Seventenths, ebf and Shamus_ like this.

So does a Blaser R with multiple receivers and barrels count as one haha!? Does for me wink..

Quote Originally Posted by HandH View Post
    So does a Blaser R with multiple receivers and barrels count as one haha!? Does for me wink..
    No. Three complete R93s 300 308 9.3x62 and an Anschutz 22

True Class those Blaser's !!!

Thanks for all the replies and the photos are awesome... stunning rifles

I figured Stug and Akaroa1 would be along to offer advice and much appreciated as I've often read and then reread Stugs report. Also glad to know Rob bought one.

Have you thought about making a carbon fibre stock for your rifle Stug?

Micky Duck... yes... the rifle belonged to our mutual friend.

Akaroa1... you can never own enough guns although wives have a differing view point!

Dreamer... stunning rifle and I'll remember the offer to look at it.

You guys have made me think about the suitable calibre. I've shot 7x64 in a combination gun a few times hunting Roe, Foxes, Boar but I've always held a sweet spot for the swede and I'm a bit of a sook when it comes to recoil.