Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Single shot scope mounting

Single shot scope mounting

Let's see your scope mounting for single shot rifles.

Thinking of getting one or a lever as a short bush gun now that I need a replacement.

I have an aero precision scope mount but the cheek weld will probably give parallax issues.

Currently going to dig up @vipers or @rossi.45 thread on them.

northdude
    what kind of single shot have you got

What ever you get make sure you mount the scope as low as physically possible to aid in proper eye alignment for quick shotgun like snap shooting .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Does the rifle not come either equipped with a dovetail or D&Ted for a base?
    The baikal I'm looking at does have a dove tail. Most use an air gun mount off trademe.
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    what kind of single shot have you got
    Planning on getting a baikal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    What ever you get make sure you mount the scope as low as physically possible to aid in proper eye alignment for quick shotgun like snap shooting .
    That's the thing. A lot seem to be fairly high.

How are you with iron sights? I have experimented with multiple different mounts on my Baikal and keen going back to the irons as it just makes it more handy in the thick shit I seem to always find.

Am going to probably shorten it as much as possible and suppress at some point soon so will need to find a mount I can live with.
    @Russian_22there is a thread somewhere on the forum about this. Even as far as machining off dovetail and having picatinny mounted.

Whatever you use, there is one thing to check. The ramp on the back part of the baikal action is slightly higher than the dovetail. If your mount (whatever one you choose) overhangs the rear of the dovetail, you will need to file the ramp down so that the action closes completely and easily. This may help with ideas. I have a few options here and have done a few if you want help. Low is better, but watch eye relief. With a normal length scope you may find you have to remove the open sights. Most of the one piece ones are a bit high, there are some low ones around.

Name:  Mount options.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  1.84 MBName:  20170325_091220_resized.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  284.2 KBName:  Dove tail.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  1,011.7 KBName:  IMG_0496.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  259.3 KBName:  Izh18 scope mount weaver rail and N C Star ultra compact.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  397.4 KB
    Preacher likes this.

Baikals have a 12 mm dovetail, so any 22 mount will go on as low as possible otherwise you will need a riser.
    A red dot will avoid parallax issues and is good for 200 yds on deer pigs or goats.
    People I feel are too hung up on scopes and magnification and have by and large forgotton that open sights have secured more game in this country than any other type. A red dot is also superb for snap shooting. Give it a go.
    Preacher likes this.

Here's mine, comes with the bases though...

Name:  Ruger No.1 .204 SS Laminate Stock  L.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  6.82 MB
    Name:  Ruger No.1 .204 SS Laminate Stock  Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 Gunworks Suppressor 1.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  7.03 MB
    Name:  Ruger No.1 .204 SS Laminate Stock  Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 Gunworks Suppressor 2.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  8.65 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    Here's mine, comes with the bases though...

Attachment 108101
    Attachment 108102
    Attachment 108103
    Thats not a Baikal....Very Nice. What cal? (If you dont object to me asking, please?) I got to use one in 375 H&H magnum....That is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Thats not a Baikal....Very Nice. What cal? (If you dont object to me asking, please?) I got to use one in 375 H&H magnum....That is fun.
    Yeah missed that post further down as I was trying to upload photos...

Ruger No.1 in .204, this thing is a laser, love it but do not use nearly enough, hoping to change that though..

@timattalon that's what I had in mind for the reference.

Another option could be adding a cheek riser to get correct alignment. If you end up with a wood stock Baikal you will likely also have to smooth some of the stock anyway.

Love my lil Russian but quality wood work is not from factory.
    @Marty Henry, mine measures a snug 11mm. However they come out of a tractor factory I believe so yeah...

As for Double Shot...that’s a beautiful rifle. Maybe one day I can con the Wife into an "art purchase"

Blue and walnut though.

Whatever you use, there is one thing to check. The ramp on the back part of the baikal action is slightly higher than the dovetail. If your mount (whatever one you choose) overhangs the rear of the dovetail, you will need to file the ramp down so that the action closes completely and easily. This may help with ideas. I have a few options here and have done a few if you want help. Low is better, but watch eye relief. With a normal length scope you may find you have to remove the open sights. Most of the one piece ones are a bit high, there are some low ones around.

Attachment 108100Attachment 108104Attachment 108105Attachment 108106Attachment 108107
    the 2nd one works just great,with added bonus being one piece the rings HAVE to be aligned properly.
    Preacher likes this.

Also be aware if you want to keep rear sights on the Baikal you will need a small objective bell or an offset mount that will put it further forward.

Issue I had was I could not get decent sight picture with scopes I had on hand and relation to rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    How are you with iron sights? I have experimented with multiple different mounts on my Baikal and keen going back to the irons as it just makes it more handy in the thick shit I seem to always find.

Am going to probably shorten it as much as possible and suppress at some point soon so will need to find a mount I can live with.
    @Russian_22there is a thread somewhere on the forum about this. Even as far as machining off dovetail and having picatinny mounted.
    Decent enough. Got groupings I was happy with at 100 with some flip ups.

I was planning on using it as a bush gun with odd shots at slips.

Attachment 108100Attachment 108104Attachment 108105Attachment 108106Attachment 108107
    Cheers! Gives lots of options!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Baikals have a 12 mm dovetail, so any 22 mount will go on as low as possible otherwise you will need a riser.
    A red dot will avoid parallax issues and is good for 200 yds on deer pigs or goats.
    People I feel are too hung up on scopes and magnification and have by and large forgotton that open sights have secured more game in this country than any other type. A red dot is also superb for snap shooting. Give it a go.
    A red dot would be ideal. Probably a Bushnell trs25 would do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Also be aware if you want to keep rear sights on the Baikal you will need a small objective bell or an offset mount that will put it further forward.

Issue I had was I could not get decent sight picture with scopes I had on hand and relation to rear sight.
    My vx2 is a 1-4x20 so is pretty small.
    Micky Duck likes this.