Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

sks, suppressed , subs?

anyone suppressed an sks and shots subs reliably that cycle the action?

I have heard of some trying to do sub`s in a SKS but have not heard of anyone having any luck. You would need a heavy bullet and Probably would need the barrel Gas hole opened out to let enough pressure to the piston quickly.

I would advise removing the piston and just hand cranking each shot.

Hi

Before I had an E-cat license I played with all these types of weapons, SKK,SKS,Mini-14 etc etc...I suppressed them all, but never used subs in them? The SKS performed very well when suppressed and was the only suppressed semi I've ever used that doesn't shower the shooter with shit from the cycling of the action (gas blowing back in your face) when the shot is fired. The Mini-14 was the worst, in fact I used to wear safety glasses when using it. And my AR isn't that better.

I'd say you could easily get an SKS to cycle subs, you'll just have to give it a go then work through any issues if there are some. Start your loads high and work back so you don't get a projectile stuck in the barrel. The only issue I can see is that the twist rate may not be fast enough to cycle heavy bullets? Heavy bullets make the best sub rounds for hunting as they carry more energy.

kj

did you try the high temp silicone fix around the top of the charging handle on your ar15 Kimjon? worked like a charm on mine.

Id allmost want to hold the bolt in place on the sks to firm things up and get a little more rigity and accuraccy rather than part opening the action with the underloaded round, mabe removing the piston would do that but im not sure as i havent tried.

if you are going down the sub road do try cast lead hollopoints that are as soft as possible so they expand like 22LR subs do.
    got a 308 subsonic rifle and its cool as hell

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    did you try the high temp silicone fix around the top of the charging handle on your ar15 Kimjon? worked like a charm on mine.

Id allmost want to hold the bolt in place on the sks to firm things up and get a little more rigity and accuraccy rather than part opening the action with the underloaded round, mabe removing the piston would do that but im not sure as i havent tried.

if you are going down the sub road do try cast lead hollopoints that are as soft as possible so they expand like 22LR subs do.
    got a 308 subsonic rifle and its cool as hell
    Hi Bill

Please tell me more? I can gather the basics of the AR fix, but could you shed a little more light on the subject?

Also what type of projectile and weight are you using, as to date I've never been that excited about subs in 30cal rifles?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

kj

haha thread hyjack sorry antsman.

better yet ill show you a picture. this guy done it ruff as buggery mine is done with grey silicone and is barely noticable and very tidy.
    none the less it shows you the idea. before doing it I would get stinngy eye after each shot. now not at all.
    partly due to using less oil when cleaning but mostly due to the fact its easyer to go out the ejection port now rather than the gap you fill.

Do It Yourself Gas Busting Charging Handle [2009-09-29] - 03DESIGNGROUP

highly reccomend this $15 fix.

for the subs i am still using some hollowpoint cast projectiles made by a friend of mine who has since been killed, so I cant get any more of them.
    he would just use soft lead rather than hard lead, so it would mushroom better and also load them long so they jam into the rifling.
    Iv only shot possoms with it so I cant comment on the use of them on big stuff. 30 cal subs are good fun. but only really usefull if you are up to no good.
    pop............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......... thud

Yeah sorry Ants about the hyjack.

Thanks Bill I'll give it a go soon, when its time to break out the old AR again.

cheers

kj

No probs guys, it's all useful info !