Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dogmatix
  • 1 Post By dirtyhabit

Thread: slings

northdude

slings

I must be getting a bit soft im considering getting a padded sling for a bit more comfort what are you using and what should I stay away from

You are getting soft.
    I only use mine when I'm carrying something back (ie not often) or sometimes on 3 hour walkins with my full backpack when I know I can't/don't shoot (ie Poronui), otherwise rifle is in my hands.

I do have a few, all the Uncle Mikes ones, 3 plain and one padded stretchy neoprene type, which is prob the one you may want. Around $65 form Reloaders, or $75 elsewhere.
    JoshC likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

northdude
    my hunting is like my fishing so I need a realy comfy one

I have a Allen leather sling with padding it was my first sling I ever bought and I hate it . It's too bulky and the leather digs into the side of your neck and rubs . I then bought a Allen neoprene type sling and it's very comfy I wouldnet go past one of these again :-

+1 to what Dogmatix said. I have two Uncle mikes (Neoprene) with the fast release screws that makes them easy to put on or off the rifle in the field to give you either free hands carrying out (I use a deer carry belt also a la Alex Gale style, as I have a bit of a history of a bad back and this keeps the load nice and low on my hips). I also use a sling out "Tops hunting" as an aid to lock in for longer shots off the daypack.

i roll the sling around the already rolled deer carry belt and it fits nice and snug into the bum bag section of my Stoney creek day bag for when it needs to come out you can just pull the end and it unravels. A neat trick if its hosing down and you want it to get stuff like this out easily.

I use a Niggeloh, German made, good quality, around $70 but bloody comfortable and sturdy...
    outdoorlad likes this.

I have a few different types, but my favorite hands down is the Quake Claw Rifle Sling:
    Quake Claw Rifle Sling System : Cabela's
    Purchased one when I was living in Canada and would to get another one, but can't seem to get them in NZ. Well made, grips on the shoulder really well, comfortable carrying a heavy load, fast and easy to adjust, doesn't hold water and freeze your hands like the neoprene ones do and can I still wrap my arm around it for an offhand shot if necessary.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

That quake claw looks legit. I have a sling with a neoprene section and while it is nice and comfy to carry, the stretch makes it next to useless as an aid to shooting as I just can't cinch it tight enough . I ended up bodging up a nylon Webbing tube sling with the padded non slip shoulder pad from an old laptop bag and that worked a treat. I wouldn't recommend getting any sling that allows stretch, unless you don't use your sling to shoot with

+1 for Niggleoh