Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Small bore double rifle.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bell Block NZ/Northern Alberta Canada
    Posts
    780

    Small bore double rifle.

    I've got a Fair Safari double rifle in 9.3x74 and extra 20 ga shotgun barrels,
    The heavy recoil, from the 9.3 in a 6lb double rifle isn't enjoyable, I can manage about 10-12 rounds before I start to fatigue and my shooting goes all to hell.
    Going to order a second set of barrels, can't decide on what cal, 7x57R or 7x65R, I've got both the 7x57 and 7x64 in bolt actions, solid reliable cartridges.
    I am leaning towards the 7x57, but the added performance of the 7x65 is tempting.
    Other choices are 8x57, 308, 270, 3006, 30R blaser,.243 and perhaps 6.5x57 if I ask. Not interested in any non rimmed case,
    So what would you choose, 7x57R, 7x 65R or other. I've got a week to decide,
    199p likes this.

  2. #2
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,548
    Hi @southernman

    So you like the 7x57R which does not need anyone to introduce it or to blow its trumpet.

    You are tempted by the 7x65R...all the while you try to ignore your poor shoulder's request for a break. (-:

    It sounds like you will shoot more accurately with the 7x57R as acromio-clavicular joints do not toughen up in response to repeat abuse. )-:

    Thinking of rimmed cartridges, there is one large-case, rimmed .30 calibre you did not mention, the 7.62x54R Russian. With its fat rim and wide shoulders it would just LOOK and feel right, in a steampunk kind of way, as you slip two of them into the breech(es).

    Name:  A0312.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  18.8 KB

    Wonder if we'll see more double barrel rifles used in the NZ bush, now semis are out. Fuchs make double bolt action rifles in the whole spectrum of calibres right down to their .17HMR Hummingbird.

    Name:  FUCHS.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  60.5 KB

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I've got a Fair Safari double rifle in 9.3x74 and extra 20 ga shotgun barrels,
    The heavy recoil, from the 9.3 in a 6lb double rifle isn't enjoyable, I can manage about 10-12 rounds before I start to fatigue and my shooting goes all to hell.
    Going to order a second set of barrels, can't decide on what cal, 7x57R or 7x65R, I've got both the 7x57 and 7x64 in bolt actions, solid reliable cartridges.
    I am leaning towards the 7x57, but the added performance of the 7x65 is tempting.
    Other choices are 8x57, 308, 270, 3006, 30R blaser,.243 and perhaps 6.5x57 if I ask. Not interested in any non rimmed case,
    So what would you choose, 7x57R, 7x 65R or other. I've got a week to decide,
    I've been chasing one in 38/55 an old deer cartridge.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  4. #4
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,501
    Unless it is really accurate I would go 7x57R. I have a 7x65R single shot, I was going to go 7x57R but felt the extra power of the 65 best fitted with where I hunted, the open tops.
    I would imagine most of your shots will be less than 100yds.

  5. #5
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    3,439
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I've got a Fair Safari double rifle in 9.3x74 and extra 20 ga shotgun barrels,
    The heavy recoil, from the 9.3 in a 6lb double rifle isn't enjoyable, I can manage about 10-12 rounds before I start to fatigue and my shooting goes all to hell.
    Going to order a second set of barrels, can't decide on what cal, 7x57R or 7x65R, I've got both the 7x57 and 7x64 in bolt actions, solid reliable cartridges.
    I am leaning towards the 7x57, but the added performance of the 7x65 is tempting.
    Other choices are 8x57, 308, 270, 3006, 30R blaser,.243 and perhaps 6.5x57 if I ask. Not interested in any non rimmed case,
    So what would you choose, 7x57R, 7x 65R or other. I've got a week to decide,
    What a terrible dilemma to be in.

  6. #6
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    3,397
    7x57R

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invervegas
    Posts
    1,436
    6.5x57R would be a great "practise round" that would also be handy for anything up to "medium" game.

    However I'd be thinking of something a bit more classic and that "compliments" your other barrelsets - 303 British is what I'd be thinking if they'll do it for you
    Maca49 and Cordite like this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    6.5x57R would be a great "practise round" that would also be handy for anything up to "medium" game.

    However I'd be thinking of something a bit more classic and that "compliments" your other barrelsets - 303 British is what I'd be thinking if they'll do it for you
    Absolutely..... That or the Russian 7.62x54R mentioned above which is a derivative of the 303 manufacture.

  9. #9
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,115
    Rather like the 8x57 jrs have been using this in a mates gun in France for the last few years.....it stops shit
    Not bad on the shoulder either.Name:  D95A24A6-E1AA-4BC5-9A70-8ECD246E5EE9.jpeg
Views: 401
Size:  4.77 MB
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    What a terrible dilemma to be in.
    And they're talking metrics, They ain't real double rifles in that language?
    tetawa likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  11. #11
    Member mawzer308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    816
    I'd go 7x57r, double rifles are hardly long range prospects and as such the 7x57 would have more than enough energy to do the job.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

  12. #12
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    2,475
    7x57R all the way
    Hendrik470 likes this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Hi @southernman

    So you like the 7x57R which does not need anyone to introduce it or to blow its trumpet.

    You are tempted by the 7x65R...all the while you try to ignore your poor shoulder's request for a break. (-:

    It sounds like you will shoot more accurately with the 7x57R as acromio-clavicular joints do not toughen up in response to repeat abuse. )-:

    Thinking of rimmed cartridges, there is one large-case, rimmed .30 calibre you did not mention, the 7.62x54R Russian. With its fat rim and wide shoulders it would just LOOK and feel right, in a steampunk kind of way, as you slip two of them into the breech(es).

    Attachment 111824

    Wonder if we'll see more double barrel rifles used in the NZ bush, now semis are out. Fuchs make double bolt action rifles in the whole spectrum of calibres right down to their .17HMR Hummingbird.

    Attachment 111823
    i like very much but just imagine cahills face if you turned up with a double magazine double barreled rifle at the firearms debate and said this is the new replacement for semis.
    gadgetman, timattalon and WallyR like this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Rather like the 8x57 jrs have been using this in a mates gun in France for the last few years.....it stops shit
    Not bad on the shoulder either.Attachment 111838
    must be one of those dangerous firearms i see its caged. very nice would like to see that sitting in my gun cabinet.
    Moa Hunter and Sideshow like this.

  15. #15
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    6.5x57R would be a great "practise round" that would also be handy for anything up to "medium" game.

    However I'd be thinking of something a bit more classic and that "compliments" your other barrelsets - 303 British is what I'd be thinking if they'll do it for you
    Heh heh. Don't ask them if they will. Ask them if they CAN, and they'll jump to the tune of your cheque book.

    Anyway...

    Here are some alternatives to the more impoverished among us, Baikal twin barrel rifles in the first video, and in the second one someone who found 16g shotguns seem to do better than 12g with slugs.



    Micky Duck likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Double rifle case
    By uk_exile in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2019, 08:15 PM
  2. Bulk small rifle or small pistol primers
    By R93 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-01-2016, 07:51 PM
  3. Rifle Double Grouping
    By cambo in forum Shooting
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 15-02-2015, 06:56 PM
  4. Large rifle/small rifle case holder
    By R93 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-04-2013, 09:25 AM
  5. Double Rifle?
    By Spudattack in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!