Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Small bore double rifle.

Small bore double rifle.

I've got a Fair Safari double rifle in 9.3x74 and extra 20 ga shotgun barrels,
    The heavy recoil, from the 9.3 in a 6lb double rifle isn't enjoyable, I can manage about 10-12 rounds before I start to fatigue and my shooting goes all to hell.
    Going to order a second set of barrels, can't decide on what cal, 7x57R or 7x65R, I've got both the 7x57 and 7x64 in bolt actions, solid reliable cartridges.
    I am leaning towards the 7x57, but the added performance of the 7x65 is tempting.
    Other choices are 8x57, 308, 270, 3006, 30R blaser,.243 and perhaps 6.5x57 if I ask. Not interested in any non rimmed case,
    So what would you choose, 7x57R, 7x 65R or other. I've got a week to decide,
    199p likes this.

Hi @southernman

So you like the 7x57R which does not need anyone to introduce it or to blow its trumpet.

You are tempted by the 7x65R...all the while you try to ignore your poor shoulder's request for a break. (-:

It sounds like you will shoot more accurately with the 7x57R as acromio-clavicular joints do not toughen up in response to repeat abuse. )-:

Thinking of rimmed cartridges, there is one large-case, rimmed .30 calibre you did not mention, the 7.62x54R Russian. With its fat rim and wide shoulders it would just LOOK and feel right, in a steampunk kind of way, as you slip two of them into the breech(es).

Name:  A0312.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  18.8 KB

Wonder if we'll see more double barrel rifles used in the NZ bush, now semis are out. Fuchs make double bolt action rifles in the whole spectrum of calibres right down to their .17HMR Hummingbird.

Name:  FUCHS.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  60.5 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    The heavy recoil, from the 9.3 in a 6lb double rifle isn't enjoyable, I can manage about 10-12 rounds before I start to fatigue and my shooting goes all to hell.
    Going to order a second set of barrels, can't decide on what cal, 7x57R or 7x65R, I've got both the 7x57 and 7x64 in bolt actions, solid reliable cartridges.
    I am leaning towards the 7x57, but the added performance of the 7x65 is tempting.
    Other choices are 8x57, 308, 270, 3006, 30R blaser,.243 and perhaps 6.5x57 if I ask. Not interested in any non rimmed case,
    I've been chasing one in 38/55 an old deer cartridge.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Unless it is really accurate I would go 7x57R. I have a 7x65R single shot, I was going to go 7x57R but felt the extra power of the 65 best fitted with where I hunted, the open tops.
    I would imagine most of your shots will be less than 100yds.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    What a terrible dilemma to be in.

MSL
    7x57R

6.5x57R would be a great "practise round" that would also be handy for anything up to "medium" game.

However I'd be thinking of something a bit more classic and that "compliments" your other barrelsets - 303 British is what I'd be thinking if they'll do it for you
    Maca49 and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    6.5x57R would be a great "practise round" that would also be handy for anything up to "medium" game.

However I'd be thinking of something a bit more classic and that "compliments" your other barrelsets - 303 British is what I'd be thinking if they'll do it for you
    Absolutely..... That or the Russian 7.62x54R mentioned above which is a derivative of the 303 manufacture.

Rather like the 8x57 jrs have been using this in a mates gun in France for the last few years.....it stops shit
    Not bad on the shoulder either.Name:  D95A24A6-E1AA-4BC5-9A70-8ECD246E5EE9.jpeg
Views: 1133
Size:  4.77 MB
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    What a terrible dilemma to be in.
    And they're talking metrics, They ain't real double rifles in that language?
    tetawa likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I'd go 7x57r, double rifles are hardly long range prospects and as such the 7x57 would have more than enough energy to do the job.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    7x57R all the way
    Hendrik470 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post

Heh heh. Don't ask them if they will. Ask them if they CAN, and they'll jump to the tune of your cheque book.

Anyway...

Here are some alternatives to the more impoverished among us, Baikal twin barrel rifles in the first video, and in the second one someone who found 16g shotguns seem to do better than 12g with slugs.

Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    i like very much but just imagine cahills face if you turned up with a double magazine double barreled rifle at the firearms debate and said this is the new replacement for semis.
    The double barrel rifle is the only purely sporting configuration rifle. There, sit down boy!

Legal bolt action double-barrel rifle is 2x5+2 capacity.

But seriously, no don't think he'd have a problem...probably...as long as it is registered and it is your only centrefire rifle.
    Last edited by Cordite; 22-05-2019 at 03:36 PM.

At what range are you going to regulate the barrels. Most are about 50 Metres, close range rifles., .303 maybe 150metres. Get the book Shooting the Double Rifle by Graeme Wright and have a read.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough